Can you make money selling things on ebay? How can I make £100 a week?

(13 Posts)
topoftheladder Fri 11-Oct-13 20:14:09

I need to earn about £100 a week and ideally work from home and am trying to think of ways to do it. I sound very naive because I am, but am desperate to get out of my current situation!!!

wokeupwithasmile Fri 11-Oct-13 20:18:03

what would you sell?

topoftheladder Fri 11-Oct-13 20:44:04

Still thinking of that! I thought maybe computer games.

TwoEightTwoEightTwoOh Fri 11-Oct-13 20:48:23

How much time have you got? I went through a phase of entering loads of competitions and then sold the winnings on ebay. I made about £200 total and it was a LOT of effort (I won lots of stuff I kept though tbh).

There's a whole forum on moneysavingexpert.com where people post all the comps including all the itv ones where you can win thousands.

If I had lots of time I'd do it again, it was fun.

pingulingo Fri 11-Oct-13 20:49:36

2nd hand / retro ones? Is it possible to be competitive on price (which is all ebayers really care about) with new games?

RandomMess Fri 11-Oct-13 20:49:57

I don't think you can tbh, certainly not easily.

Yes You can make that on Ebay. Like anything, you need to invest a little time on building it up but yes you can.

Have a look at a site like aliexpress.com for things you could buy cheap and sell on higher. And there are books available to read on the subject which would help you make an informed decision.

It is certainly do-able.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 13-Oct-13 03:18:40

Computer games a no-no, everyone downloads them from sites like Steam these days.

What about something like Avon?

joyhg Mon 28-Oct-13 15:43:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

bacon Mon 28-Oct-13 21:21:05

I think yr looking at this the wrong way round you need a product to sell then think of the best way of selling it.

You have to have realistic goals too £100 a week profit means you would have to sell items in large amounts with small margins or expensive items with bigger margins. Plus fees, tax, etc.

You also become a business which has its pitfalls plus selling means you need to have 100% ratings - 3 knocks and you could be out of the game. Yr getting into the p&p game, returns, feedback and there are some people out there who deny receiving items or say things are defective.

I would concentrate on looking at understanding margins and saleability of items - think about how many items you need to sell a week and def the competition.

Business is not easy or straight forward dont think it will give you smooth outcome.

comewinewithmoi Mon 28-Oct-13 21:23:22

I'd be wary of anyone wanting you to contact them . May be dodgy.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 28-Oct-13 21:27:54

I sometimes sell for friends and family. I only sell stuff I know will go for £10+ and take 50% profits.

Could this be a way for you to start and supplement stuff you buy to sell ? So many people intend to sell stuff but don't get around to it.

simba3 Fri 15-Nov-13 22:37:45

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now