Coffee shop

(6 Posts)
honeyjar Fri 13-Sep-13 16:51:19

I have been given the opportunity to open up a coffee shop at a local Ladies only Gym.
Has anyone done anything like this before ?
I like to go and have a coffee after a class with some of the girls, but do other people like to go for a coffee after going to the gym?
What would expect to be served at a coffee shop attached to a gym?
I would probably need to set this up from scratch ,there is an out building, that I would have to convert any help, suggestions, etc would be gratefully received.
Thank you .

NomDeClavier Fri 13-Sep-13 17:05:36

My old gym used to have a refreshments bit but it served healthy smoothies, juices etc rather than coffee and cake. There probably is a market if you give it a healthy food slant as well as coffee.

Do consider the various bits of legislation - planning for change of use, food hygiene regs etc - before you start.

honeyjar Fri 13-Sep-13 20:39:14

Thank you. Hadn't thought about all the hygiene certificates and planning etc.

BackforGood Fri 13-Sep-13 20:46:50

Is the gym on a High Street, or business park or anything ?
I can see that some people would like a drink and a chat after a class, but would there really be enough 'footfall' to make a living ? Would you be able to attract people other than gym users in ?

Thurlow Fri 13-Sep-13 20:47:04

I'd say a mix of healthy and unhealthy food wink Mostly healthy, but with the odd bit of cake too - though is there a way to make cakes that are a bit healthier? You'd want to cover for the people who go to the gym because they are uber healthy, but also for the people who go for more of an activity and possibly meet friends and have a gossip afterwards.

honeyjar Fri 13-Sep-13 21:30:48

Hi the gym is not on the high street.
The classes seem busy enough also they do beauty treatments, so there might be husbands waiting for their wives etc, who may want cup of tea whilst waiting.
I was thinking about speaking to a small bakery to see if they could perhaps do some healthy cakes/ snacks .
Not sure if it would attract people passing during the winter, but it is opposite a sports field and tennis courts, so may attract some summer business.
Thank you for all your posts so far.
Plenty of food for thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now