Using private rental home for work?

(4 Posts)
Bizkit Thu 12-Sep-13 07:23:48

Just wondering as I'm a bit worried. My 'partner' has been trying to start his own business a few years now, he is basically a mobile mechanic, however he does most work on the drive and at times we have had a couple of cars on the drive.
Is he allowed to do this? as far as I know he has no extra insurance etc for this, but I'm not sure what the rules are, does he have to be earning so much or anything?
We are privately renting.
Thanks in advance

raciroo Thu 12-Sep-13 09:11:17

At the very least I know he will need to have permission to use the property as a commercial premises, as you're renting this would have to be declared to the landlord, who would in turn need to inform his mortgage lender and insurers. Your partner would then, if landlord agrees to the arrangement, need indemnity insurance for his clients property (i.e. cars) plus insurances for anyone he might have helping him, and any public liability (e.g. if a passer-by were to come on to your drive and subsequently be injured). Just like any other business.

So your concerns are well-founded, have a Google of 'using property as commercial premises' and sit him down!

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 12-Sep-13 09:20:50

Most rental contracts have a clause stating that you cannot run a business from home.

In some cases, landlords will be flexible, because the work doesn't actually affect how the house is used. In your partner's case, though, it does.

The landlord would need to give permission, and you'd need indemnity insurance, as Raciroo says. You may also need permission from the council, as your partner would increase traffic to the property. Then permission from the mortgage lender.

It doesn't matter what he earns, and he really should have mentioned this to the landlord before you moved in, or before he got started. It may well end up cheaper to rent space at a nearby garage. You risk your tenancy and legal action if you don't get permission, though. It won't be hard to see what's happening!

Speak to him ASAP.

Bizkit Fri 13-Sep-13 07:15:39

Thanks for this, seems I'm right to have cause for concern, I'll try and talk to him..easier said then done hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now