Anyone in start-up & SAHM?

(15 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Fri 06-Sep-13 13:53:59

smile

littleraysofsunshine Fri 06-Sep-13 16:15:59

?

How can you be both?
If you have a start-up business, surely that makes you a WAHM?

littleraysofsunshine Sat 07-Sep-13 06:38:27

Preparations to start up more so

Tee2072 Sat 07-Sep-13 08:20:09

Then you're not a SAHM. grin

I was, once. Now I have a company. smile

littleraysofsunshine Sat 07-Sep-13 10:12:15

How do you find your right balance and juggle time? I have two small children and expecting #3 smile

littleraysofsunshine Sun 08-Sep-13 21:54:58

Bumpsmile

Starting a new business with small children at home is near impossible. Do you have any daycare?
Do they all sleep at the same time?
Can you work in early mornings/evenings and DP watch the DCs if they wake?
Could your DP work part time and take on some of the childcare?
Do you have a low housework standard?

These are important questions as a new business requires focus and time. Small children also require your focus and time, they need to be someone else's responsibility while you're working, or it's too much to juggle.
With 3, it might well be economical for you to get a nanny.
Have you got a business plan, to work out projected profit/loss and see if it's a viable business (even with added childcare costs)?
Most people wait until the DCs are at school or at least have 3-year funding before starting a business. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

Panadbois Tue 10-Sep-13 11:53:05

Hi, I'm looking after a 2 yr old and trying to start up a business. A lot of things I can do when she's under my feet, like sourcing stock, I even sometimes get to talk to people on the phone!
TBH, I find myself making lists of what to do when she goes to bed, then when she goes to bed, I barely have the energy grin

She started play group yesterday, which gives me two and a half hours every day to do stuff, and once my shop is ready she will be going to a childminder two days a week. (I am a Foster Carer and SS are aware and surprisingly supportive of my plans as they are looking for a forever family for LO)

birdbrain21 Wed 11-Sep-13 23:28:56

inmysparetime It's not impossible just challanging wink
I have a 5 month dd and having her and going on maternity has given me the push to try starting up my own business from home doing the creative stuff I've always loved instead of teaching. It's still in the planning stages but I'm managing to work around her at the moment and if I need to when she's older and I start up properly and my maternity pay finishes! then I'll look into childcare for a few hours a day so I can get more stuff done...just have to be organised and determined!!!

I said "near impossible"wink.
Starting with just one DC underfoot is hard, but 3 at once, toddlers and babies, it's challenge enough getting dressed and keeping on top of at least three sets of competing requirements, let alone adding a start-up to the mix.
In the OP's case, daycare needs serious consideration. I say that as someone with two of my own, similar in age. I have also worked in daycare (before starting my own business), and know what a difference a decent amount of time without childcare responsibilities can make to a fledgling business.

littleraysofsunshine Thu 12-Sep-13 09:39:55

Birdbrain, I agree, impossible is a strong term. Challenging seems more appropriate. I am also in planning stages. But small steps forward are better than none aren't they. smile

I keep telling myself that anyway!

Child care will come into place, dd1 doesn't have her placement until jan/or sept 14. So all depends.

Family support is great, it's just getting the management strategies all in place to get the family/biz balance I guess?? grin

birdbrain21 Thu 12-Sep-13 10:03:10

oops I didn't see the 'near' was a bit tired last night!

Well here's to us ladies wine to being good sahm and successfull start ups!

Afrodizzywonders Sun 20-Oct-13 15:54:22

It's very hard work. I set up my first business whilst still working full time, then I left work to concentrate on it full time, got pregnant with DH and the business went from strength to strength. Cue DC2, I've just sold first business as a going concern for lump sum and as a glutton for punishment, set up business 2 whilst looking after a toddler and a baby.

That's now taking off and was my dream business I aspired to do 5 years ago. I look after them all day, DC1 will be starting nursery in January, I have no family nearby and DC2 is teething waking up 5-11 times a night. But I love it, it's keeping my mind active. I do get frustrated that I can't do more some days, but I'm doing enough.

Wherediparkmybroom Tue 22-Oct-13 21:19:25

I started up a fishmongers seven weeks ago, my five month old comes with me, and I have worked the opening hours around school, we've seen steady growth so far so fingers crossed and thank god for silvercross!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now