How do I communicate my freelance startup?

(6 Posts)
NewBusiness13 Wed 28-Aug-13 16:53:16

Thank you very much, this is very helpful

tribpot Tue 27-Aug-13 21:25:09

I thought this blog post might be helpful - and this.

NewBusiness13 Tue 27-Aug-13 21:11:59

Thank you so much, just checked my contract and it does state I have to ask permission in case I want to undertake any other work. Thought it would not be needed as this is not related to current job, but I was wrong.
My question now is if I am given this permission and in a few months I am pregnant and then go on maternity leave in due time, how will this affect my company maternity pay? Will it affect it in any way (e.g. Company pays me less maternity pay for any reasons at all) if through this freelance business I am earning pennies really or even nothing at all? Trying to see the whole picture and if it is worth it going down the freelance business option...

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 27-Aug-13 16:46:22

Sounds exciting.

I'd probably check the staff handbook first (if you haven't already) to check if there are any clauses about working elsewhere. I have had that in the past.

Assuming not just be honest with your boss, affirm how committed you are to them but this is a hobby you want to turn into a small business as you love fashion etc.

I just think you need to emphasise how this won't effect your work/focus etc and down play what you'll be doing"yes, I'll just be working a little for a few friends".

Good luck.

tribpot Tue 27-Aug-13 13:54:58

We would expect employees to declare any other employment so that everything is above board; very rarely there could be a conflict of interest and this way it can be managed fairly.

Your employer should be fine with it, and as you'll probably have a web presence they could easily find out anyway. I would just let them know and ask if there's any paperwork to complete.

NewBusiness13 Tue 27-Aug-13 13:44:44

I want to start working freelance as an Image consultant working on weekends only and thought it is best to be honest with my current employer on this venture. How do I communicate this to my boss though without their thinking I plan to leave my job, as I do not?

I work fulltime Monday-Friday and my idea was to run this business on weekends, as I love fashion and that it is best to register with HMRC so I keep any earnings legally declared. I also do not expect to have any earnings in the first few months, as it does take time to attract clients...

I thought it is best to be honest just so I do not have to monitor my speaking all the time and be myself and it will not affect my day job

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now