Neither Mumsnet nor Barclays has checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Please do not use this topic to post promotional messages about your business venture; if you do, your post may be deleted as spam.

party bag business? ? research needed

(13 Posts)
birchykel Mon 26-Aug-13 08:22:56

I was at my friends and she makes and sells cakes (shes very good) and she had made some sweet cones for my kids. It gave me an idea of doing these and selling them, maybe party bags too. But I want them to be different. Not all the rubbish u get in party bags usually. I need ideas of what parents would like in their kids bags, what would parents pay for instead of them going out and doing them themselves?
I was thinking id like to do themed ones, healthy ones (so no sweets) and sweet cones.
Any ideas ladies??
Do u think im being silly trying to do this?

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 26-Aug-13 09:10:18

I think people would pay. However, there a lot of companies - big and small doing this type of thing. Part Pieces (Kate Middleton's family's business is a big one and a local cupcake shop near me offers it too - a small business)

I might buy some items such as small toys and the bags to make them up but I would never buy cakes etc - particularly from someone doing them on an adhoc basis as I'd be worried about hygiene etc. I would also prefer to make DS' birthday cake etc myself

Actually, on reflection, I would probably just order all the party bag stuff from amazon as it would probably be cheaper and have free next day delivery

So - sorry. I think I'm saying I wouldn't be interested

SuperiorCat Mon 26-Aug-13 09:21:13

It's not a service I would pay for. It's not much more difficult to buy bits from eBay or amazon and stick them in bags IMO

Tee2072 Mon 26-Aug-13 09:22:07

Not something I would ever pay someone else to do for me unless I was loaded.

I think most people are perfectly capable of making up a party bag.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 26-Aug-13 09:25:05

Sorry but I wouldn't pay either. The Internet makes it easy to do these days.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 26-Aug-13 09:28:01

It isn't something I would pay for.

Lots of softplay etc places do party bags as part of their package and it works out really good value.

Chocotrekkie Mon 26-Aug-13 09:36:58

How much would you sell them for per bag ?
how much would it cost you to make ?
Then how much time would it take you to make them up ?
Would you include free postage/delivery ?

What are the figures behind it - I honestly can't see how you can make any profit at all.

I guess the likes of party pieces etc are making pennies per item but selling so many that it mounts up.

birchykel Mon 26-Aug-13 09:43:26

Thanks for the honesty. Haven't gone into too much detail as it was just a thought of something I could do. Hmmm maybe I should go back to the drawing board lol

Timeforabiscuit Mon 26-Aug-13 09:48:54

Don't get disheartened! What about themed party bags? Anyone can chuck sweets, pound land toys and a sticky bit of over- iced cake in a bag.

What makes you different? What individuality can you bring? That extra creativity I would pay for, within reason wink

birchykel Mon 26-Aug-13 15:16:45

Yes I am giving it some thought. I wouldn't want to do the same old party bags all kids get it would need to different and more creative. But that's what im working on at mo, trying to see what j can come up with. X

The nearest I have come to buying them was to order a set of football themed contents and bags and packing them myself, so you got 20 sets each containing a whistle, red and yellow card, little puzzle, keyring, then you put them in the bag yourself with sweets, cake ballon or whatever.

My DD loves choosing and packing her party bags herself, DS likes choosing but lets me do the packing. i really like doing it (one of the few aspects of the parties that I do enjoy TBH). I also think that what parents like (eg healthy, no tat) is not always what children like either.

I think sweet cones might possibly work, but the actual party bag market is pretty well saturated.

Lagoonablue Mon 26-Aug-13 16:05:33

Ethical bags? Recycled paper bags with toys that are made by businesses that create opportunities for disadvantaged people, or ones from 3rd world charities. Wooden stuff, not tat made abroad in sweat shops. I might pay a bit more for that.

birchykel Tue 27-Aug-13 08:48:47

Thanks guys ill do some more research

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now