Neither Mumsnet nor Barclays has checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Please do not use this topic to post promotional messages about your business venture; if you do, your post may be deleted as spam.

Targeting rich parents ;)

(53 Posts)
NourishingButtons Sat 17-Aug-13 22:20:54

So, have taken the plunge and started a business, main product being a high ticket price garden play item (good value for money but price is due to quality materials and craftsmanship).

We have no money for advertising so will be relying on PR, we have some lovely editorial style pics.

Would really like some advice on good platforms to reach parents who are well off (obviously not the world I move in, or I would know ha!). Websites, publications, communities etc.

Any help much appreciated, thanks smile

flibbetyjibbet Fri 06-Sep-13 22:12:20

No not PR disaster at all - seems that the purpose of the thread was to get some good advice re targeting, which it did.

PR =PUBLIC relations.

;) = cheeky/ironic.

Mumsnet at its worst.

TheFallenNinja Tue 03-Sep-13 20:30:47

Wow PR disaster.

FourGates Mon 19-Aug-13 17:37:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NourishingButtons Mon 19-Aug-13 15:11:04

What is it with some Mners who love to cast aspersions based on very limited information. I will not be sucked into this cattiness, I prefer to communicate with positive rational people. Over and out.

Labootin Mon 19-Aug-13 13:52:42

I'd love to know what sort of child's product invokes the spirit of the age .. Is it a bit Woo ? wrapped in daisy chains made by Indigo children and blessed by online Druids ?
You want the glamping festivals or Dragons Den they'd eat you alive

NourishingButtons Mon 19-Aug-13 13:33:55

Thanks TiggyD, the website will be live in a few days so I will send you a message when it is. Thanks for the nurseries exhibitions tip, will google that now! smile

TiggyD Mon 19-Aug-13 09:45:17

Every sane person knows what you mean OP.

"I make a huge garden toy that costs £5000. Should I target everybody, including those who on benefits or the minimum wage?" Would have got you a few negative comments too.

Can I see your thing? I work in nurseries. They tend to buy high quality built to last stuff as with such huge numbers of children toys get a 'lifetime' of use every year. There are nursery exhibitios you might like to try, and nurseries are a good place to show off products to rich people.

NourishingButtons Mon 19-Aug-13 08:33:57

MrsCBatch, thanks for the advice, but I have, me! I have worked in advertising, marketing and the meeja for a long time. This thread was intended to glean advice on targeting our prospects which it has done fabulously, not as PR for our company.

Marketing is knowing your market and speaking to/building a relationship with them - I have absolutely no prejudice to who buys our products but have very limited start up funds so need to direct what spondoolies we have to targeting the people who are 'most' likely to buy. Maybe the word 'rich' was a poor choice based on the offended responses, maybe saying AB1's would have been more appropriate, and not provoked such personal attacks. Anyhoo onwards and upwards ;)

Rofl. With that attitude I'll be keeping my money rather than spending it on a poncy garden toy.

Do yourself a favour and get somebody to deal with your PR.

NourishingButtons Sun 18-Aug-13 20:48:09

Thanks all for the helpful and supportive comments. Myself and my business partner have come together with very little start up funds and your advice is much appreciated. Our product is unique and takes advantage of the zeitgeist so am hoping I can get some editorial coverage, especially as we have beautiful photos, with a bit of luck! Am also going to a few country shows locally over late Aug and Sept, and will target commercial prospects after then, mid Sept onwards. Some really excellent ideas here that I will definitely be looking into - thanks smile

For those who chose to be rude based on my use of the word 'rich', I hope you are trolls otherwise the chip on your shoulder must be a great burden.

larrygrylls Sun 18-Aug-13 11:58:38

"Rich people don't necessarily spend £££ on high end equipment. How do you think they get rich? Many get rich and stay rich because they are careful with their money. The ones who spend £££ tend to be the aspirational ones."

Yep, that is why Selfridges and Harrods are based in "aspirational" areas, rather than areas where properties average many millions...not!

On average, rich people spend more than poor people, because they have more to spend. Any business which is not realistic about the targeted demographic is going to fail. The OP is being perfectly sensible and anyone who is "offended" by her language is clearly overthinking and oversensitive.

holidaybug Sun 18-Aug-13 11:49:06

Rich people don't necessarily spend £££ on high end equipment. How do you think they get rich? Many get rich and stay rich because they are careful with their money. The ones who spend £££ tend to be the aspirational ones.

TheSecondComing Sun 18-Aug-13 10:49:56

DontmindifIdo Sun 18-Aug-13 10:43:44

your right spottypurse, she should change it to say : "targeting rich parents or feckless poor ones who think it's a good idea to spend their full month's income on one toy." because really, while there are some people that stupid, the bulk of her customers are going to be rich people for whom a few grand is not a lot of money. personally, I think it would be morrally reprehensible to be deliberately targeting your product at people who'd struggle to afford it (and pointless, most people on limited income aren't that daft)

Wearytiger Sun 18-Aug-13 10:31:14

Oh also wanted to add that the tips above about contacting play groups, camp sites etc are excellent advice. B2B sales are much easier than B2C sales and you have an excuse to go and see them a year later and see if anything can be replaced, added to etc ad infinitum, potentially giving you an attractive longer term revenue stream than a parent, who may well only buy from you once. I would offer each play group etc a small discount conditional on them displaying your poster etc as well.

Spottypurse Sun 18-Aug-13 10:29:18

The title is "targeting rich parents"

But. As a poor peasant who is not in the target demographic, I shall bow out and let the rich worthy types who the OP feels would be worth the effort to target come up with suggestions.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 18-Aug-13 10:29:12

TSC - I didn't realise they charged for all articles. Friend had an 'opening' and pretty sure they didn't charge to attend that and take some nice photos.

Wearytiger Sun 18-Aug-13 10:27:35

spotty this is what the OP said:
Would really like some advice on good platforms to reach parents who are well off (obviously not the world I move in, or I would know ha)

I missed the bit where she banned all the poor people from buying her product!

Mogz Sun 18-Aug-13 10:02:52

Get yourself a Facebook brand page and a twitter account, ask all your friends to follow and share your updates. Find FB and T accounts of businesses with links to yours and ask them to follow and share too. Set up a competition on T (not FB, v strict rules that can bite you on the bum if you get caught out) and ask for shares and follows.
See if you can get it on the mumsnet local page.
Put aside a small amount of prize money and ask local colleges/sixth forms with good art and design departments if you can run a comp to design a flyer/logo or whatever you don't have and need on the cheap. Then let the local papers know you're doing this and they might run a story.
Nice printed notices in local shops and libraries.
You will need a good website if you want to target people's pockets, nothing turns me off a sale more than a templated or homemade site. Buy a good domain name and find a good webdesigner (Massive Penguin is damn good at web and graphic design).
Good luck.

Spottypurse Sun 18-Aug-13 09:58:37

There's targeting a demographic and then there's making snobby assumptions. The OP Comes across to me like making snobby assumptions. I would suggest if the OP continues with that attitude in real life she may lose a number of sales and alienate some who would have purchased the product.

TheSecondComing Sun 18-Aug-13 09:53:43

Spottypurse Sun 18-Aug-13 09:49:45

Oh right am I TheSecondComing? I thought the OP was being a snob. Thank you so much for setting me straight.

TheSecondComing Sun 18-Aug-13 09:48:17

Tee2072 Sun 18-Aug-13 09:46:41

I should SPB since this is what I do for a living, advise snobs people on how to position themselves online.

TheSecondComing Sun 18-Aug-13 09:43:44

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now