Neither Mumsnet nor Barclays has checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Please do not use this topic to post promotional messages about your business venture; if you do, your post may be deleted as spam.

Renting baby clothes - good idea or not?

(8 Posts)
kilcrea Thu 01-Aug-13 20:51:41

Just wondering what people think about the idea of setting up a business to hire out baby / kids clothes? All of the items would be in guaranteed good condition, and would be replaced whenever they start to show signs of wear.

Thanks!

Wearytiger Thu 01-Aug-13 22:11:51

Are you comparing the cost of new baby clothes with the cost of rented ones? Or are you making a more realistic comparison between a mix of new / second hand / gifts and rented ones? I think most people tend to the latter so the price differential looks less attractive. Also how will you source the clothes to rent? My baby literally can wear a top once and it's ruined (obviously not every time!) that's a lt of wastage for you to carry.

I think there is something in the idea that babies are so precious yet so changeable that renting vs buying might actually be a good idea (also people often don't have the space to store everything). But personally I am not sure that clothes is the right product for you. How about rented prams? Personally I think in an ideal world I'd have a different pram every six months, my and my baby's needs change so much.

ChippingInHopHopHop Thu 01-Aug-13 22:16:31

I don't think you can make a business from it.

Baby clothes can be bought new very cheaply if you want to - primark, tesco, sainsburys, eBay, carboots, charity shops... and most often doing the rounds with friends.

Clothes are easily spoilt too (poo/feeding) - you would be constantly replacing stuff and I think from a parents POV trying to keep the 'rented clothes' separate from the 'owned' clothes would be a faff.

Postage/courier costs would cripple you too.

Sorry.

Radiator1234 Thu 01-Aug-13 22:19:07

Don't think it's a good idea what PP said clothes are so cheap to buy. Also, I've had a friend loan me clothes before that she wanted back, I realised that was a pain... Wish I'd not bothered, as I had to keep track of which were hers v mine, was worried about dirtying them etc.

Chopchopbusybusy Thu 01-Aug-13 22:23:08

I really can't see the business idea either TBH. I spent very little on clothes because I received a lot as gifts.
The only real idea would be if the clothes were very expensive. If I didn't own the clothes though I might not be that careful when my baby was eating carrot purée for example ;)

LynetteScavo Thu 01-Aug-13 22:28:04

Well, my DC generally trashed clothes by throwing up on them/pooing on them/rolling on the grass/mud, spreading banana all over themselves.

I can see the attraction for expensive outfits, like wedding hire, but for little people.

Rented prams...now there's an idea.

kilcrea Fri 02-Aug-13 10:16:01

Thanks everyone for the responses. I should have been a bit more specific on the detail as what I was thinking was just hiring out good clothes like pretty party dresses etc. However the points about postage and stains are good ones so I'll have to think again, though it might still work. Thanks for taking the time to reply though and back to the drawing board for me :-)

ChippingInHopHopHop Fri 02-Aug-13 20:38:21

You and me both - I'm still looking for that very elusive new business idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now