Planning to open a dress agency/consignment store-has anybody got experience of this?

(11 Posts)
Panadbois Wed 25-Sep-13 20:35:15

Can I ask a silly question about commission? I will be selling items from local crafts people on a commission basis in my shop which still hasn't opened despite my early September prediction and can not for the life of me figure out what to do with the till for these purchases.
I know I can have a till button for all different suppliers, so I know how much of their items I've sold daily. Do I then just take my commission out of this daily total and write it on the receipt roll??
I'm confused!!

Panadbois Mon 29-Jul-13 08:41:53

Sir sugar- That's the kind of advice I'm looking for too, thanks.

SirSugar Sun 28-Jul-13 12:17:48

I will elaborate

Customers items for resale - you need proper contract, clear terms as in what percentage if it sells, how long you keep it for sale and collection arrangements if it doesn't. You should get 50% of resale price in commision

Forward order - go to Pure at Olympia on August 4/5/6th to look at brands, don't agree to buy anything on the day, do loads of research look for short order brands who can supply immediate stock through season. Your mark up will be approx. 2.5

Wholesale - trawl commercial road area in east London and buy and take away what you like. Mark up multiplier is approx. 3

Have a good eye, plenty of fresh stock coming in regularly, move clothes around store frequently, merchandise as 'stories' i.e. florals, black white, evening/party, etc. Change windows weekly and understand your customers

SirSugar Sun 28-Jul-13 12:08:55

Are you going to be stocking customers items for resale, forward order or go wholesale buying?

Panadbois Wed 24-Jul-13 17:00:45

No, nothing as yet

ArcticRoll Wed 24-Jul-13 16:52:38

Panadbois-have you signed the lease already?

Panadbois Wed 24-Jul-13 16:24:05

Pre loved kids clothes, gifts and cards smile and i'm still waiting for confirmation!! Won't hear anything til next week now hmm The waiting is killing me!

let us know how you get on smile

ArcticRoll Wed 24-Jul-13 11:51:50

Thank you for your replies-Panabois and Lilyboo.
Panabois-agree it is very important to offer friendly but not overbearing manner-so many boutiques are quite snooty but also don't want to be greeted by someone who doesn't leave you alone .Very exciting for you-what type of shop are you opening?
Lilyboo-yes I'm planning to use FB and Twitter to link to new stock.Not sure at this stage whether I'll send out items.

Lilyloo Tue 23-Jul-13 20:02:41

The one near us has a Facebook Page and links new stock so I already know what's in and can ask her to put things away for me. She will also post items out.
She is good at accessorising items to which I like.

Panadbois Tue 23-Jul-13 19:52:56

Exciting!!

The most important thing for me would be to feel welcomed into your shop, not intimidated cos I don't have posh clothes or any fashion sense
I appreciate help and guidance when asked for and i don't want to 'disturb' you for help (like you do in big stores where you feel like a hindrance).

BTW I feel the same, really exited one minute and sheer panic the next! I'm hoping to have confirmation that they will be refurbing 'my shop' tomorrow, with a view to opening early September smile Go us!!

ArcticRoll Mon 22-Jul-13 15:47:26

I'm in the process of signing a lease for a beautiful shop in a great location and plan to open it as a women's boutique-just wondered if anybody has any tips or if you have you used one what you liked/didn't like about them?I'm very excited and scared at same time as have never been self employed and it's a big risk going into retail in current climate but feel that my business model has potential to do well.Thank you .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now