Help thinking of starting a new business

(6 Posts)
honeyjar Wed 28-Aug-13 12:41:44

Eureka ! I think I have an idea ! I would like to set up an Internet business selling honey, honeypots and other related items. Now can anyone please tell me how I start ?
Thanks

honeyjar Sun 25-Aug-13 12:27:52

Hi thanks for all the feed back. Can anyone tell me a little more about these pop up shops please.
Thank you

EfrainG Mon 05-Aug-13 07:59:11

That's greta idea if you have good knowledge about antique and vintage arts. If you are not the getting the place you are looking for then look for rented space in an small consignment-type shop or antique mall.
business broadband

queenofthepirates Fri 19-Jul-13 19:37:54

I think it's a great idea but I suspect the key will be research on your part. I own my own crafts business and I found the most important things to do were:
1. go on a business management course (I did a free one local to me)
2. do a tonne of market research, the course should help you work out what you want to know and how to get the info. Then you can shape your strategy
3. dip your toe in the water unless you can afford to throw your money in. I used to organise pop up shops and sell space to other people. I did a course in small business local low cost marketing and now I teach it myself.
4. just ask! ask for a rent free period and see what happens. If you're going into sales, you better learn some negotiating techniques.

Best of luck! xx

TheFallenNinja Fri 19-Jul-13 19:25:53

Parking will be key to this I suspect.

honeyjar Fri 19-Jul-13 15:12:08

I have an ides to sell space I. A shop, I would like to open an antique/vintage arts and craft shop. As well as selling my own little bits, I was thinking about then selling space to other people.
The premises I have seen are local to me, no one in the town is selling space, although 6 miles away there is such a place and they have an 18month waiting list in the other direction about 12 miles away there is a little place doing the same and they have a 6 month waiting list. What sort of things apart from rent, rates and usual bills should I take into account.will the council give a break re business rates?
Is it worth asking the landlord for a3month rent free period?
What else could I negotiate with the landlord to reduced my risk ?
How would I go about doing the market research to see if it is viable.......any help please would really be appreciated.
Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now