Is selling hand made jewellery worth it?

(6 Posts)
SimLondon Sun 21-Jul-13 20:48:34

I know what you mean - i love making things in silver and have spent a fair amount of money on materials and only once produced something that i'm quite happy with. Practising alone costs!

CockyFox Wed 17-Jul-13 14:33:43

Thanks for your replies. As I said I am not looking to have a business as such just fund my hobby.

I did look at pricing things allowing for time involved and I would probably not pay that much - but that is why I started making my own.

I think I will probably stick to making for my own enjoyment and maybe have a stall at the church Christmas fair.

LandOfSpareOom Wed 17-Jul-13 14:20:41

I read once that the people that make money are the ones who sell the items for crafting. Don't know if that's any help. I did see one website that sold hand made jewellery as part of their online bead & other stuff shop.

Other than that, niche is the way to go, especially as baby showers seem to be growing and people are always getting married. Perhaps little trinkets for graduations, naming ceremonies/christenings.

PeterParkerSays Wed 17-Jul-13 14:20:25

I think you maybe need to look at this f rom the other side. You make a necklace, it takes X hours, and the silver chain and beads cost Y to purchase. It therefore costs (X x minimum wage) + Y to make the necklace; some people also cost the item as 3 x Y.

If you looked at your finished necklace, would you pay that much for it?

I only know about wool based crafts, where the general concensus is that it's not worth making items commercially because most people wouldn't pay the cost of the materials plus adequately remunerating the knitter. It's the economies of scale, where you can buy loads of beads at a cheaper price, which would allow you to start covering costs as you could lower your prices.

DonutForMyself Wed 17-Jul-13 14:08:59

I think the problem with Folksy etc is that it is generally crafty people who go on there for inspiration so that they can make things themselves! In order to get the everyday person to buy your wares you really need to be on FB for maximum exposure these days and perhaps do parties as well.

It probably helps if you can tap into a niche (like Mothers' bracelets which you can promote for Mothers' Day or Best Teacher ones for end of term etc.) then people will remember you for other occasions. You could do cheap and cheerful personalised ones for party bags or really nice ones for new mums/wedding gifts etc.

FWIW, being on FB as a business is a very different ball game to being on there personally - there are still a lot of annoying people and posts, but you're a bit further removed from the bragging and cliquey-ness if you're a business page.

CockyFox Wed 17-Jul-13 13:21:13

I am a stay at home mum, and I make jewellery in the evenings as a way to relax but it is quite an expensive hobby.

I have set up a folksy shop but don't get many views or any sales. Has anyone managed to make enough from selling jewellery to cover their costs or do you think I should just stick to only buying beads/gems etc with my treat money.

I know people sell stuff on Facebook but I really don't like it there and left it over two years ago and have been much happier since. I have set up a twitter account in my folksy shop's name but can't even convince my friends to follow it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now