Where to go for help and advice setting up a business

(4 Posts)
chickenspots Sat 17-Aug-13 12:17:42

this link may help? https://www.gov.uk/starting-up-a-business/start-with-an-idea
I don't know what part of the country you are in but I have found a lot of support from WiRE - Women in Rural Enterprise www.wireuk.org/ at a local level but they also run courses at their HQ.
Your local Chamber of Commerce or Federation of Small Business maybe good places to network and meet other business people depending on what you are planning. I was newish to my area so didn't know any local laywers, accountants, designers, printers etc etc so wanted recommendations.
Most banks offer incentives to start banking with them so you get no charges for the first year. Barclays had a start up package that offered you an hour with an accountant (this was 2010) not sure what is on offer now and I've never used any of the business support through the bank but I know it's there!
I also did a 4 day business start up workshop which was free (Government funded) and an HMRC course (free) on VAT and I think think there is a self assessment one available too although I have a feeling that since I did them there has been a shift to online tutorials rather than face to face workshops (for cost cutting purposes)

mutasa Wed 17-Jul-13 12:27:33

It depends which part of the country you are based in? Support is usually available in a local region or county. You may be able to get help from your local Enterprise Agency, Princess Trust if under 30 although there are certain conditions, a local university or college if you have links.

daisydee43 Thu 11-Jul-13 22:13:18

Go by who you know - you can get recommendations on accountants and banks from people you know. Go on hmrc website for legal stuff

orderinformation Thu 11-Jul-13 21:46:47

I am setting up a small business next year and currently working on my business plan.

Can anyone advise me on best place to get help with this please and where to get advice regarding all the legal things like registering at Companies House and setting up my accounts and hiring an accountant and getting a busness bank account etc,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now