creating my own website

(17 Posts)
LaFlotte Wed 03-Jul-13 11:42:16

Hi! Can anyone tell me which is the easiest site to use to do this? I am hopeless at IT so need something fool proof!!
Thanks!

TheFallenNinja Wed 03-Jul-13 11:45:01

If you give a bit more of an idea what you need I can help you.

LaFlotte Wed 03-Jul-13 12:40:34

Sorry to be vague!

I am looking to set up a fairly simple website myself. It will be for wedding planning so will feature photographs and text. It will need a landing page and then pages for About the company, service, venues, gallery, testimonials and an enquiry form.

Thanks in advance for any help!

DolomitesDonkey Wed 03-Jul-13 12:59:49

1. Buy a domain name and hosting from a UK company (will help your search engine rankings to be based in the country in which you sell.)
2. Install wordpress (.org not .com)
3. Go to themeforest.net and choose a wordpress theme, pay, download and install.
4. ta-da!

hedwig2001 Wed 03-Jul-13 13:30:40

I used www.350.com to set up a website for my husband's business.
Free to start. Small fee to get rid of adverts.
Can buy a domain name from them if you want.

BinarySolo Wed 03-Jul-13 13:34:57

Fast hosts are cheap and integrate with Wordpress and othe site building software. I'd imagine that a blog format would be ok as you won't be needing to take payments, which is a whole other headache!

Software like roman cart are good for payments if you do need them and will integrate with a paypal account.

BinarySolo Wed 03-Jul-13 13:37:11

Fast hosts support is good too.

Godaddy are good but more expensive and have in built web design with templates - for an extra charge. Customer service is USA based but very good.

Cheeseatmidnight Wed 03-Jul-13 13:40:55

I quite like mr site

TheFallenNinja Wed 03-Jul-13 15:55:28

If you need any help with any of this let me know.

LaFlotte Thu 04-Jul-13 09:27:12

Thank you so much for all the tips. I will be spending some time on this over the weekend and will more than likely be back with questions!

Fallen Ninja - thank you for the offer that's very kind and I am certain I will be taking you up on it!

Quick question - I found a template on themeforest I think it was, that I quite liked. It didn't seem to be wordpress though, I think it said Concrete? Is this just a different system and do I need to download something first if I want to use this one?

Thanks!

DolomitesDonkey Thu 04-Jul-13 13:40:57

Can you put the link here?

I just had a look on themeforest and searched for Concrete and couldn't find a theme by that name - just two called "Fairytale" and "Sweatpea" using a Concrete 5 framework (which is not Wordpress!).

If you go to themeforest you can select all wordpress themes from the menu at the top of the page.

Don't go for a free site - they look so unprofessional, don't come with an associated email address and as a double whammy you have no control. Ask anyone with a free wix website how that worked out for them last week when wix went down!

LaFlotte Thu 04-Jul-13 15:00:10

Hi! I don't know how to do a link but the one I was looking at is 40 dollars and called wedding planner for concrete 5.

Would you recommend staying with WordPress rather than concrete 5?

Thanks again!!

BinarySolo Thu 04-Jul-13 16:21:04

I've had a brief play with concrete 5. It's pretty easy if you're familiar with Word as it world in a similar way. Fast hosts also offer integration with concrete 5. There should be plenty of free templates and making them look more bespoke should be doable.

Wordpress is probably easier to update on the go tho. There's an app for iPhone that would allow you to add pictures and new blogs.

Merguez Tue 09-Jul-13 20:17:19

I used Squarespace to build mine. Very professional looking and easy to use, even for a luddite like me.

makeusawebsite Wed 10-Jul-13 10:55:17

Obviously I am biassed, but creating your own website might sound like a great plan.... but honestly, it isn't!

consider some of the following;

Most website builders don't give you control of meta data data, alt tags, and other critical back-end code. If these aspects are not setup correctly your site is unlikely to rank or perform well.

Most off-the-shelf templates/wordpress themes are not WC3 valid. This means they likely wont be tested or work well on different browsers.

I would always advise paying a pro to do it properly, as how the website LOOKS is just a small percentage of what is involved in creating a website.

Adele
MakeUsAWebsite

CarpeVinum Wed 10-Jul-13 10:56:01

weebly.

Well I like it.

mutasa Wed 17-Jul-13 12:38:43

Try Yola, you get a free domain. It also comes with easy to edit free templates especially for your line of business. You also have nothing to lose by test driving it.

Although Wordpress is a powerful Content Management Systmem I would advice against this as the templates will usually require a lot of editing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now