Documentary producer

(8 Posts)

I'm a journalist, but had an idea for a business making documentaries (for families, a niche that I think hasn't been explored yet). Although I have experience producing videos for internet and working on TV, I have never made proper documentaries.

By any chance, does anyone here know of courses or networks or places where I could learn a bit more about this?

Thanks!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 27-Jun-13 23:43:18

You mean like this company? I do believe it has been explored...

Thanks for the link! I know some people do this, but couldn't find anyone!

Well, they're in Australia, so they're not competitors. And my idea is a bit different anyway.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 28-Jun-13 09:04:01

If you want to learn about how to make documentaries then the BBC do courses but they're very hard to get into. Other than that, I would advise that you watch as many as you possibly can...of all types. Imo that's the best way to learn.

I know it's not quite the same thing but when I wanted to write radio sketches, I listened obsessively to radio sketch shows....for hours every day.

It worked and my stuff has been broadcast multiple times.

Sheshelob Fri 28-Jun-13 09:13:21

There is a company in North London called DV Talent who do courses and hire out equipment, which could help you start out.

And Neo is right - watch a lot of docs, as there are many different kinds of formats.

If you can shoot them yourself, it will keep your overheads low, but it obviously needs to look good, too. DV Talent also have shooters on their books if you are less cinematographically inclined!

And get a shit hot website.

smile

Neo, my plan includes watching loads of documentaries, to learn the language well. Congrats on having your stuff broadcast, lately I haven't heard of many people successful on their writing... sad

Shes, thanks for the link. It's a shame I have just moved from North London (2 stations away from DV Talent...) to South London, but anyway I can still attend the courses.

I can shoot and edit myself, I'm less confident on the audio bit and the post production.

Right now my biggest obstacle is finding time to work on the business. I have 2 DC, one 3yo and one 7mo, and I have no money to pay for extra childcare - but if I don't find time to work, how can I earn money?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 28-Jun-13 22:04:36

The audio and post production...couldn't you make some contacts within a media college? Get some student to assist for the experience or a small fee?

Sheshelob Fri 28-Jun-13 22:42:00

Ah, that old impossible situation. You have to work to pay for childcare but you need childcare in order to work. Welcome to my world.

You can find sound recordists and editors through places like DV Talent, as well as by putting an ad on Production Base or Mandy. They have a special lo/no fee section where people find experience. This may well be for you.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now