Neither Mumsnet nor Barclays has checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Please do not use this topic to post promotional messages about your business venture; if you do, your post may be deleted as spam.

Starting up as a freelance translator

(5 Posts)
jenduck Tue 04-Jun-13 13:49:28

So, I want to do some freelance work as a translator (French/German into English) but I don't really know how to go about it. Does anybody have any ideas?

I got an MA in Translation in 2004 in these languages. I have looked into joining ITI but I'm not sure I could do this because I graduated such a long time ago, and since then I have only worked for my father's firm (of Solicitors), then had my 2 DC, plus have done the odd translation here & there, but not enough to get the required references.

Thoughts I had were: to look on Translators Cafe & apply for jobs on there. To contact translation agencies in my local area.

Thanks in advance for any ideas smile

Have also posted this in Self-Employed section

eatyourveg Tue 04-Jun-13 21:37:49

I think alexpolismum is a translator - you could try sending her a pm

jenduck Wed 05-Jun-13 16:54:00

Thanks, eatyourveg I will try her & see if she has any suggestions for me smile

FrequentFlyerRandomDent Sat 22-Jun-13 20:46:32

OP, I was just reading this in the guardian and then saw your post, clearly meant for your eyes:

Translating If you are fluent in a second language, translation services are in demand as UK companies look overseas for new sales. But be warned: it's a serious business and you'll need professional qualifications from an accredited body (such as the Institute of Translation and Interpreting or the Chartered Institute of Linguists) and professional indemnity insurance before setting up.

For public service translating work you'll also need a diploma in public service interpreting law, a licence from the National Register of Public Service Interpreters and to be registered with an approved interpreting body.

"Once qualified, register with translation sites such as lingo24.com and language123.com and grow from there," suggests Jones.

Good luck!

themaltesecat Sun 23-Jun-13 15:39:14

OP, do take the Guardian advice with a grain of salt. Yes, you could shell out several thousand pounds for an MA or Diploma in translation, then pay through the nose for admission to a professional organisation, and be allowed slowly to pay more and more for higher and higher echelons within their hierarchy, or...

You could spend that time really studying the language every day, set up a little website for yourself, post on forums in the countries where your L2 is spoken to advertise your beautiful, native-speaker English and give people a Paypal account to send money into.

My husband is a translator and he fell into a permanent, decently-paid gig by just being good at what he does. Professional organisations in this field are nothing but membership-fee harvesters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now