Oh what to do?!

(8 Posts)
jussi Tue 04-Jun-13 10:56:26

Hello,
Love this new topic page,have read it with interest,now wondering if anyone could help me!

My background-have been a primary school teacher for 10 years,recently moved to new area and doing a couple days a week supply which I'm actually quite enjoying.

Have 2 children with SN,one school aged and 1 pre school aged.
Have always wanted the flexibility to do something for myself and feel I am wasting the other 3 days (monetary wise) as I could be making money around childcare.

I don't want a franchise of any sort,I want to start something from scratch.i have had so many ideas but lack the time/motivation to get started.im waiting for that 'wow' idea to come to me!
I am also registered as a private tutor.

Which of the following would you be interested in,if any?! And any other ideas would be much appreciated with my background and experience.

Creating pocket sized learning fans for children- times tables/high frequency words,shapes,etc where the information is velcroed to a backing fan and can be pulled off and put in a see through pocket/folder.the idea is that children can see what they have learnt and what they still need to learn in a visual and fun way.
(Downfalls-lots of preparation for very small return).

Pre-school sensory sessions I.e. like a play group but have sensory tents/ball pits/messy play/etc.
(Downfall-don't know if my heart is in it).

Hiring out sensory equipment
(Downfall-too much competition).

Pre-school sessions where a story would be brought to life. I.e.set up the room to represent the story and children explore and become the characters.(read the story to the children first).
(Have no idea how I would recreate the stories lol).

Anything else? Also thought of doing fun science experiments!

Not sure if I'm putting obstacles in my way for a reason!
Do any of these sound feasible?
Trying to use my experience but not sure how????
Thanks for reading if you've actually managed to get to the end!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 04-Jun-13 14:04:27

Hi there...the idea that speaks to me most is the story telling one. I think many parents are keen on participatory activities which involve some aspect of performance as they feel they're getting their money's worth as cold hearted as that sounds!

With educational products there is a VAST selection on offer from well established companies and I feel that a new educational product should be something different and fresh...in order for it to have any impact at all.

I have searched and searched for an art/craft class for my DD and found none. I was going to set my own up but I simply don't have time..I'm already self employed and growing busier as a copywriter.

What about a craft/story session with a leaning towards performance as you mentioned. Changing the space to fit in with the theme of the story and offering simple craft activity which is related?

jussi Tue 04-Jun-13 16:40:44

Thanks neomax-that's a good one! Just had a thought off the back of that one-as you say but also different areas of development all related to the story.Basically a reception/nursery year literacy lesson!!!

daisydee43 Tue 04-Jun-13 18:18:39

What about starting a tutor agency where people ring up and you recommend a tutor to them who works for you self employed?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 04-Jun-13 19:16:20

Yes aimed at different stages so to speak.

GW297 Wed 05-Jun-13 21:52:04

Where are you based?

ernescik78 Thu 06-Jun-13 09:32:19

I also like the story telling with performance aspect...must be the dancer in me ;)

I remember seeing a lot of story telling at waterstones at some point...kids section. I wonder if you have any local book stores/shops/ after school clubs that would somehow work with you on this one...until you have gained some recognition?? If that's of any interest?

Where I am based in London, there are so many baby/toddler classes/sessions...but very few good ones. I gladly paid £6.50 for a 30 min music/singing/instrumental interaction class...perhaps somehow incorporating this set up with your forte could work...ok won't be life changing to start with but it will give you a chance to develop something of your own which you are passionate about and work it up?

xx

Tutoring agency. Think in terms of HR rather than children. The competition for child-oriented micro-businesses run by Mums is stiff, and the money isn't really there anyway, whereas a sleekly designed tutoring agency has "legs" and can potentially go international via things like Google Hangouts, webinars etc. Start off with the aspect of it that you are familiar with and push yourself to learn and expand as you go. For example, look at a site like bluetutors etc. You're just trying to match highly qualified tutors with potential students and taking a cut of the hourly rate.

In terms of software, the site could be easily designed yourself using Wordpress, promote via Twitter, Facebook and Google Adwords, so there wouldn't really be any set-up costs beyond buying a domain on Godaddy (you don't even need hosting at first).

It would fit in well around your time allowances.

Think of something that doesn't always need YOU to do it, and can actually earn you a proper salary (potentially).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now