Neither Mumsnet nor Barclays has checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Please do not use this topic to post promotional messages about your business venture; if you do, your post may be deleted as spam.

Got to be more to life than working to make someone else rich...

(20 Posts)
daisydee43 Mon 03-Jun-13 15:03:27

Call me immature but I've just never taken likely to authority. Since leaving uni I've hated working life and struggled on. Now 5 years later I'm in a job which is ok, it's quite easy and the boss isn't a pig (and my god I've had some) but it pays min wage and isn't very challenging and I'm so bored. Looked into buying a business recently with dh but it fell through as the owner was a bit secretive.

Anyway I really want to make lots of money and be a great mum and feel that being self employed is the way forward - only problem is I have no idea how, tried selling on ebay stuff I bought from china but nothing sold and I was left out of pocket.

Have a few business ideas but I don't know where to go with them, also am qualified horticulturalist but fear this is only going to be seasonal work

What's everyone else trying?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 03-Jun-13 16:57:29

I am a copywriter...freelance. I've been at it for 5 years now and am only making a living this year...previous years have been about building up contacts and some regular clients.

I am like you...cannot abide being told what to do. I've always had a problem with authority!

As you are a horticulturist, what about running garden workshops or lessons for children? You could tie it in with some outdoor craft activities.

All you need is a venue...(look at allotments maybe?) and someone who can craft...you could do whole day workshops in the hols and after school for children to learn about growing food and flowers as well as taking part in outdoor crafts.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 03-Jun-13 16:58:01

By the way...my DC would LOVE to attend something like this...

Kneedeepindaisies Mon 03-Jun-13 17:12:02

So would mine! Great idea.

daisydee43 Mon 03-Jun-13 17:26:57

Hi there, yes it is a great idea but I'm not sure I could work with kids?

Kneedeepindaisies Mon 03-Jun-13 17:51:02

Is there something stopping you or do you just not want to? grin

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 03-Jun-13 17:56:32

daisy I know the feeling! You have to find something you LOVE to do...and which you are very good at. More than "ok at"...you need to be EXCELLENT at a thing in order to make money from it.

What are you excellent at?

daisydee43 Mon 03-Jun-13 19:12:08

I think after failing with the online business I'm worried that I will fail again - I am excellent at all thing plants but worried I will only get work in the summer, I am also an excellent de-clutterer and would love to get hold of MILs house for 1 day. I love baking too albeit need to tweak my sponge recipe

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 03-Jun-13 21:22:44

What about making and maintaining plant displays for offices and other business? In the winter, you can offer winter planters and if you're doing large scale things, then you can still maintain those.

Also, you could branch out into doing big Christmas trees....decorating and providing...delivery and removal as it were.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 03-Jun-13 21:23:49

I must advise...de-cluttering and baking are almost sure to fail. There are billions of women who attempt these as a business almost daily!

daisydee43 Wed 05-Jun-13 15:42:49

So much competition in gardening, it's just so off putting

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 05-Jun-13 17:48:56

Well you sound more than slightly defeatist OP. No offence but you will need a tougher skin and more determination than that to make a business succeed.

ernescik78 Thu 06-Jun-13 08:57:37

Hi, I'm a mum of a 21 month old and am expecting number two...I started my own online business 4 years ago and yes you are right, it is best thing to do. I started part time whilst I was working 16hr days for a global giant in the form of a production company and also had my light bulb moment realizing I'll never be able to make millions out working in this set up/system.

Sounds like you know what you are after, you are a hard worker and if you are open minded enough, have a look at Network Marketing (Biz of the 21st century - Robert Kyosaki) to my knowledge Network Marketing is the only way forward, especially if you consider combining with health and wellness...in current economy small businesses are really struggling to survive and to start up your own, it will require a significant financial input with potentially not much profit in your first 4-5 years. I'm a professional dancer and in the past we (with my hubby) thought of opening dance schools, taught independent classes...it all just costs money. But then it might be different for you...Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Hope this helps ;)

daisydee43 Fri 07-Jun-13 10:50:43

Yes you're right, there's lots of competition in a every business you just have to be the best. Think I'm going to look into the office plant displays side but dh is not supportive, just have to show him

WaitingForMe Thu 13-Jun-13 16:49:58

I belong to a breakfast networking group and we had a gardener come as a guest. At least 8 people have hired him in the last month.

Maybe it's geographical but there is a massive shortage of gardeners in Cheltenham/Gloucester. Very good money in supplying hotels with plants year round as well.

makeusawebsite Tue 18-Jun-13 20:50:40

Totally agree, me and my husband run a website design company (hence my name), and in the last few years we have gone from hardly seeing the kids before and after school, to doing the school run every day, and having evening meal together. These are things money cant buy!

daisydee43 Wed 19-Jun-13 15:27:45

So as an update I have decided to go ahead with an idea that was suggested on here. I have already started developing my website and have contacted a nursery that has a trade card to get discount plants. Just need to pass my RHS exams and driving test which are both coming up in the next few weeks. Then I need to think of everything I need to set up - will prob stay part time at work as great for new clients and plant news. And then want to have baby no 2 whilst still at work so I've got a little while to set everything up but I figured even if I get a few days work it will be a massive help and mil is now retired so free babysitter smile lol

I am based in bexley which is kent/London border so not Gloucester I'm afraid. So what was this group you suggested to advertise at?

daisydee43 Wed 19-Jun-13 15:30:14

Makeusawebsite - what do you charge to set up website ?

makeusawebsite Thu 20-Jun-13 15:08:21

Ive sent you a private message regarding your website smile

WaitingForMe Fri 21-Jun-13 16:01:26

My group is Gloucestershire Independent Network. I like it a lot more than BNI etc but it'd be worth going as a guest to your local networking groups of the national groups and ask for introductions to hotels etc.

Google business networking and your nearest city then send them a message.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now