Crowd Funding

(7 Posts)
Biscuit15 Thu 16-May-13 11:41:01

Has anyone used a Crowd Funding site, for example Kickstarter UK to help fund a creative start-up? If so, did you reach your target, and can you give any tips on how to make your 'idea' stand out from the crowd.

MiguelMarshall Thu 16-May-13 12:13:34

I've used kickstart before and made a pledge to a project, unfortunately they didn't get enough funding to go ahead and do it. I receive emails periodically and I only read those that appeal to me... so I guess my tip is to keep your idea description as clear and concise as possible.

Biscuit15 Thu 16-May-13 12:20:32

Cheers for that MM! I've made quite a lot of pledges to other peoples' projects and I guess it's just finding the best way to attract the people that I know will be interested in my project. I know a lot of people make a short film so am thinking of going that route. What do you think?

The whole Crowd Funding thing is a fab idea, if as you say, you can reach the target that you've set.

Biscuit15 Thu 16-May-13 12:22:13

Forgot to ask - Have any other parents on here made pledges on similar sites?

MiguelMarshall Thu 16-May-13 13:17:39

Videos can be expensive and difficult. I don't know what you're technical ability or budget is but commissioning a professional video can cost around £600. What about an image slideshow?

What's the start-up anyway?

Biscuit15 Thu 16-May-13 16:28:13

Hi MM, I don't really want to say at the moment as I'm in the process of having a prototype made but will spill the beans once I have something that I'm happy with. Thanks for asking. I think the slideshow is a great idea but believe it or not I have a friend whose 12-year-old son is a dab hand at making short films - he's won quite a few competitions even one for Under-18's so I think I might get away with child-labour rates!

kellykettle Mon 27-May-13 11:34:26

I have looked at this since I have zero money for my business idea and by the time I save up the world may have moved on.

You can get people who will help you to write your pitch. I think People Per Hour website has some Hourlies on there for things like this - just make sure you check out reviews, ratings and portfolios before buy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now