Neither Mumsnet nor Barclays has checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Please do not use this topic to post promotional messages about your business venture; if you do, your post may be deleted as spam.

Event Planning

(6 Posts)
stewartlaura67 Tue 25-Jun-13 12:47:02

Good idea about contacting local sports clubs. If you are located near Boston, Mass Sports Office has information for lots of the local sports teams, including Minor Leagues and Colleges. Maybe you could contact some of these teams and see if they would be interested in attending or perhaps advertising to some of their followers? Good luck with your event!

Find a local and relevant blogger with high traffic & sponsor a promotion with her? Free tickets or a discount with an exclusive code (and a cut of the sales for her as an affiliate?).

TheFallenNinja Fri 10-May-13 17:03:52

Weather, why didn't I even consider this. shock I suppose because I don't care, the wetter the better. Thanks for that.

Margot, I have a last minute date in mind for cancellation, I think the only thing I could probably claw back is that I was at least up front and honest with my customers

Thanks both grin

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 10-May-13 16:52:34

Well done for setting up.

I have managed lots of events when employed albeit corp events.

You are likely to receive some last minute bookings.

However, if I were you I'd make the decision to go with it or not now. You want to deliver the best experience you can and if postponing you ideally want to give notice and to ensure you get hold of everyone.

If feasible to go with it anyway, then throw everything you have at last minute promotions. Some ideas (you may have already done this):

- Use existing channels to promote it

- Consider offering customers a deal on an additional ticket

- Competiton for free tickets

- Post info on local listings boards

- Are there any 3rd parties who would be willing to promote to their audience?

If this is your first event and you can go ahead I would. Word-of-mouth will help ticket sales for future events.

Good luck.

lovefreelance Fri 10-May-13 16:52:28

Just a thought (I know nothing about event planning!) maybe as it's an outdoor event most people are playing it by ear weather-wise. It's been such a rubbish spring so far they don't feel confident committing. It may be worth, if you have a good Twitter/Facebook following, checking the forecast as far in advance as you can, and if it's good broadcasting that fact with a push to buy tickets?

Also - a random thought, but have you contacted local sports clubs about your event? Maybe some of their members may be interested in coming along? Even if they're not into the same sport there may be a crossover of interest.

I'm also assuming you've advertised through local online and print listings publications/sites? Or any local Facebook pages listing events? Maybe ask some people who are going where they would look to find out about events like yours?

Good luck! I hope it all goes brilliantly for you. And if you don't get the numbers you want this time, don't let it put you off. Learn any lessons you can and make it even more successful next time smile

TheFallenNinja Fri 10-May-13 16:06:36

I am currently organising outdoor sports events as my business and have 4 events planned for this year.

This is my first foray into this line of work but I have a logistics background and have spent plenty of time researching all the necessary administrative aspects, I have a good, SEO friendly site which is attracting increasing traffic, an active twitter account and a Facebook page with a growing following that I update regularly.

However, ticket sales are poor and with 2 weeks to got I'm beginning to get a little nervous that there won't be sufficient interest and that I will have to postpone. Personally it is a blow but from a business perspective it couldn't be worse really, I have a great venue, an excellent course and some great features.

I guess I am hoping that a seasoned event planner will confirm what I am hoping and that people rarely book these kind of things much in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now