Is this a viable business idea - typing essays up for students?

(30 Posts)
SoftKittyWarmKitty Wed 08-May-13 23:01:11

I've always been good at typing - fast and accurate - and I'm wondering about setting up a business typing up essays and dissertations for students. Do you think that would be viable, or do students tend to type their own essays as they go, rather than handwrite them then type them up when done?

Is it a completely stupid idea?

I've always wanted to work for myself but suffer from a self-diagnosed lack of transferable skills (and a hefty dose of self-doubt), so I'm struggling to come up with good business ideas. Is this a go-er, or should I go back to the drawing board?

SoftKittyWarmKitty Fri 10-May-13 22:19:53

Thanks afussyphase I'll check it out. What course are you doing, if you don't mind me asking?

What are 'soft' and 'hard' skills please, lovefreelance?

SoftKittyWarmKitty Fri 10-May-13 22:23:45

It's ok, I looked up soft and hard skills. See, I have a skill - I can google grin .

lovefreelance Sat 11-May-13 14:33:53

Another soft skill to add to the list ;)

As mums we actually have many, many more skills than we acknowledge (or are even aware of). We usually need to develop the ability to multitask, manage people, manage time etc just to stay sane raising kids! Instead of viewing time out of the workplace as lost time/worthless, by looking at what we were doing in a different way we can actually turn it into a positive. I was a much more effective and appreciative employee once I had kids, and though I always left promptly at 5:30pm every night, I actually accomplished more in my day than colleagues who stayed until 7pm most evenings.

afussyphase Tue 14-May-13 10:57:43

Since you asked ... I'm actually doing a jazz improvisation one - and loving it! It's great. It's clearly laid out, lectures are high quality (content and production), and I'm finding the coursework useful and fun. And the student forum pages are at a high level - at least in this particular course. I was tempted by the business one but seeing as I have no time to start a business I figured it wasn't the time smile I totally agree with lovefreelance, by the way: since having children I am WAY more effective at managing my time.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Tue 14-May-13 11:00:59

I used to work as a note taker for a deaf uni student. I'd go to her lectures and meetings with her and take notes of what was being said as she wouldn't have been able to write and look at the sign language interpreter at the same time. I really enjoyed supporting her through her course. Would you be able to do something like this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now