Coffee shop for mums

(56 Posts)
SillyBlueHat Sun 05-May-13 18:20:46

I'd love to open a coffee shop for mums, something that is baby and toddler friendly as there is nothing like that round here. I would have a baby and toddler menu, room for buggies and a small play area.
Is there anything similar near you and is it busy? I'm just worried that I am the only person who thinks its a good idea!

MiguelMarshall Thu 16-May-13 12:50:04

Have you ever seen cafe's that also sell merchandising? Maybe you could sell the clothes alongside the coffee's and snacks.

You should definitely have a fresh baby food menu too.

I would definitely keep it niche and encourage repeat custom with loyalty cards, prize draws...etc.

I would try and organise groups/meetings for different things. For example: the other day I saw a baby sling club advertised (can't remember where). Then try to promote those events through different channels: local doctor surgery/hospital, mumsnet, organisations.

OH! What about movie/documentary screenings? Now I'm getting carried away...

Empross76 Thu 16-May-13 12:58:05

I'm in Cardiff - we have two cafes specifically for mums and kids - look up 'Cafe Junior' and 'Bambeans'. Large play area and toys for the kids - they go off and play and us mums drink our coffees and chat. I think they're excellent, visit a lot and usually very busy.

SillyBlueHat Sat 18-May-13 14:59:15

Thank you so much for the replies - I'm off to google the cafes some of you have named

CatsAndTheirPizza Fri 14-Jun-13 18:46:31

Lovely idea - but I'd want to be sure you'd make a decent profit, because I think you'd get parents who would stay and spend a limited amount. Plus, with babies involved, I think your insurances would be sky high.

princessx Sun 16-Jun-13 10:49:08

Good idea to offer free wifi too, then you will get those without kids that like to sit in a cafe too.

In Germany loads of cafes have an area for kids. Make sure it's v clean, as grubbiness is off putting. I would be your top customer! I'm not organised (or rich!) and I eat out with the kids all the time.

Look into hosting nct bumps and babies there as an easy start off to get u on the map.

As someone who does end up eating out, any assurances of healthy food would be greatly appreciated.

When my children were babies, I used to stop at my local coffee shop, I always brought food and snacks with me for them when little. Usually bought myself lunch, a cold drink and a hot drink. But we did take our time, and a table were taken where only one adult was eating.

Then my oldest was old enough for toasties and soon I bought him toasties, a cold drink and sometimes a cake/biscuit/treat washed down with babyccino. Not long after they both had this. Our trips to the coffee shop became treats for lunch, which cost me a small fortune, but hey, I had raised them to enjoy such treats out....

It is the Costa/Nero/Starbucks generation. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now