Coffee shop for mums

(56 Posts)
SillyBlueHat Sun 05-May-13 18:20:46

I'd love to open a coffee shop for mums, something that is baby and toddler friendly as there is nothing like that round here. I would have a baby and toddler menu, room for buggies and a small play area.
Is there anything similar near you and is it busy? I'm just worried that I am the only person who thinks its a good idea!

scottishmummy Sun 05-May-13 18:39:50

whether its for mums is immaterial it needs to turn a profit
you don't want mums,loads prams all eating,weaning own food,sipping single latte for 3hrs
a buggy room is IMO terrible idea,that's space you pay for being unproductively used

SillyBlueHat Sun 05-May-13 18:43:10

True Scottishmummy, maybe I could set aside a small area for folded pushchairs.
Definitely no own food. I would sell Pick n mix snacks, I.e breadsticks, raisins, ricecakes and also offer homemade purees. Ideally I would like to find somewhere with a room upstairs to rent out for baby classes

scottishmummy Sun 05-May-13 18:44:05

soft play is potentially better business,pay for entry and refreshments
sell Ella pouches,healthy meals etc.is there any softplay already?
there are cafes that the mums congregate in but not specific mum cafes

Taffeta Sun 05-May-13 18:48:34

A small tea room recently opened in our village and seems well populated by mums with pre schoolers. It has a small area for little ones with toys, books a big blackboard and a sofa. It's slightly tucked away from the main bit, seems to work. I haven't seen the childrens menu if there is one but I did see some toddlers eating scrambled eggs on toast, served on IKEA plastic plates.

I agree with scottishmummy that you need to cater for as wide an audience as possible.

scottishmummy Sun 05-May-13 18:49:18

I simply wouldn't market a cafe as a mums cafe.too niche.tiny market
not always big spenders.soft play is better idea,but require large space and equipment I guess
you want turn over and volume sales not necessarily mummy hangout (that's what library is for)

Taffeta Sun 05-May-13 18:52:55

From what I observed the mums with preschoolers were good business, starting with a round of coffees and drinks for children and moving onto lunch.....

scottishmummy Sun 05-May-13 18:54:58

have you worked in catering?whats your background?
at lunch time I don't go the mummy cafes,too packed with prams,too screechy
adults and kids taking all seats but only 1adult paying,that's a tricky area

SillyBlueHat Sun 05-May-13 18:55:00

Our area isn't big enough to support a large soft play I don't think. I've looked into start up costs and lots really struggle.
There just isn't anywhere for mums to meet up. Sure, there are lots of coffee shops but none are child friendly.
There must be some way of making money from mums desperate to get out of the house!

scottishmummy Sun 05-May-13 18:57:26

you're proposing running For profit business,not mums drop in and meet centre
you need to be clear,it's cafe for profit,ideally as many potential customers as poss
I think a meet point for mums sounds v woolly and not necessarily profitable

Taffeta Sun 05-May-13 18:59:52

Are you doing it to benefit the community or to run as a business and make profit?

If the former, can you hire a village hall for a regular slot?

scottishmummy Sun 05-May-13 19:00:07

have you worked in catering,or a cafe?can you get stint in a cafe see what involved?
somewhere for mums to meet,thats the library,park.if its your cafe they need to be spending
see you said no bringing own stuff to graze,and you'd sell produce.i agree

CajaDeLaMemoria Sun 05-May-13 19:00:12

There's one that opened near my old house a few months ago. We all said it wouldn't work, because there is a Costa and Starbucks etc nearby, but it's actually done well.

They have little tables for older children to sit at, and plenty of adult tables. They give everyone a really personal service, and have good prices. They have books for the kids, in really good condition, and there's room outside for pushchairs...

It seems popular not only for mums and babies/children, but also with people who want to do more personal meetings/deals.

SillyBlueHat Sun 05-May-13 19:01:49

It's definitely profit I'm interested in! I'm just trying to think of something that is needed in my area.

scottishmummy Sun 05-May-13 19:02:31

have you crunched the numbers?looked at demand?what would rental cost you
I think somewhere mums meet isn't necessarily profitable,and businesses for profit
if you're more into social,community side well that's not business

SillyBlueHat Sun 05-May-13 19:03:11

It's either that or a kids clothes shop but I suspect it would be difficult to make the pricing attractive enough for people to shop locally and not travel 10 miles

scottishmummy Sun 05-May-13 19:05:03

in that case go for a broad appeal cafe,capturing all potential clients
a good versatile cafe,nice nutritious food, kids menu,loyalty card etc
and definitely try get a stint in catering,to observe it and get feel

fertilityagogo Sun 05-May-13 19:05:05

There's one in my area!! I absolutely love it. Mums find it to be a godsend. Things are a bit more expensive but we happily pay the extra to have a place to relax with toys, dressing up clothes, comfy chairs, kiddie toilets etc.
I'm in London tho, not sure about your area?

scottishmummy Sun 05-May-13 19:07:52

what's the footfall like?is there demand for new cafe?
I really admire anyone starting own business.bloody hard

VAVAV00M Sun 05-May-13 19:11:27

We have a local soft play with a cafe and they use the backroom for buggies. Looks profitable too, go for it!

SillyBlueHat Sun 05-May-13 19:11:34

Dressing up clothes - good idea!
I live in a relatively well off area where mums would pay a little extra to keep the kids happy.
There is a pub 20 miles away that provides an indoor play area and the place is rammed - you need to book even for breakfast

usualsuspect Sun 05-May-13 19:12:08

I wouldn't just market a cafe at mums, you will need all the customers you can get to make any sort of profit.

SillyBlueHat Sun 05-May-13 19:12:32

Scottishmummy - I have worked briefly in catering and know its hard work!

scottishmummy Sun 05-May-13 19:14:21

what's your background?have you worked in catering?
something niche as a mums,children cafe you'd need lots footfall and return customers
how do you avoid folk congregating,eating own food?

SillyBlueHat Sun 05-May-13 19:14:39

Vavavoom - how big is the soft play?
I'm wondering about going more down this route but don't want to run one of those massive warehouse type ones. Just something small.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now