Thinking of becoming an 'Ironing Lady'

(5 Posts)
Lumley36 Fri 03-May-13 06:47:36

has anyone any experience of being/ using such a service? If so how does it work? How much should I charge? Would it be impossible if I can't drive? Would be interested in people thoughts, thank you.

OldBeanbagz Fri 03-May-13 14:26:15

My ironing lady charges £8.50 per hour and does it at my house. She can drive but chooses not to as a lot of the people who she irons for are local to where she lives.

I know a lot of people who don't have the time to do their own ironing. Some have cleaners who also iron and others use the ironing ladies who work locally.

I have to say mine is an absolute whizz. She does everything in about a ¼ of the time it would take me.

Maybe you could try dropping leaflets into the houses near you?

I think there's an advantage to having it done at home because there's no risk of creasing in transit.You would have to sort out insurance for working in other people's houses though.

evertonmint Fri 03-May-13 14:37:31

Ours used to charge £1 per short but now charges for her time. It usually works out at around £6 for 5 shirts.

She doesn't collect or deliver. We drop off whenever we want in her porch (she leaves porch unlocked) and then she texts when done and we collect. She promises a 24 hour turn around but usually does it much quicker. If she's busy she asks for us to collect within a few hours or else to text her when we can collect, otherwise she just leaves it hanging in her porch fit us to collect. Works well for us because its very convenient as we can drop off/collect when suits anytime between 7am and 11pm.

Saltire Fri 03-May-13 14:39:27

I used to have an ironing lady. She charged £8.00 an hour. I ahd to drop it off at her house but she delivered. She had at least 3/4 hours worth every other day.

Lumley36 Sun 05-May-13 09:25:25

Thank you everyone. I think it will be worthwhile once I build customers up. Great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now