How can I find a business mentor?

(7 Posts)
INESSENCEcoachALEX Tue 23-Apr-13 21:35:31

I agree in the value of having a coach and/ or mentor, and credit the pace and success of my business growth to their support (for two businesses and three small children - I honestly couldn't have done what i've done in <2 years without them).

There are many out there who offer free exploratory sessions that you may want to check out. If this is something you are interested in, I offer such sessions and also have loads of contacts that I can refer you to.

Drop us a line if you're interested: support@inessencecoaching.com

CorporateCrossover Thu 18-Apr-13 13:20:04

Hi
I think having a mentor, or a coach is a great idea when you have your own business. They can give you support, advice and stretch you to think bigger about your ideas and opportunities.
I get a coach every other year, and I really credit that to my business success.

For a mentor, you may want to visit www.mentorsme.co.uk/

SuburbanCrofter Thu 11-Apr-13 21:22:59

Thank you so much. That's definitely the first time I have had a message in my e-mail inbox from someone with a name like WallyBantersYoniBox! grin

I meant to reply about LinkedIn. I am on it, and someone I know is actually setting up a network for people in our line of business, to exchange ideas and contacts. However she has had to delay it due to a recent bereavement. I think I need some help in the meantime!

WallyBantersYoniBox Thu 11-Apr-13 20:28:53

You will see a red flag on your inbox.

I think a LinkedIn group might help you too though.

SuburbanCrofter Thu 11-Apr-13 14:55:05

Thanks for your reply Wally. Your Leadership Programme sounds great - I did a similar one for a previous employer where they used Action Learning Sets, where we guided each other in decision making without offering opinions. They were very useful.

It would be great if you could PM me the name of the company you used, but I'm afraid I don't know how PM-ing works!

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 11-Apr-13 09:12:16

Didn't want to leave your post unanswered, I am lucky to work in a Global company that has recently set up a series of mentoring programs for women. Soi I can see the benefit.

I can understand the difficulty with freelancing and lacking this ready made network.

Have you thought about Linkedin? Perhaps searching for a group, or setting up a group yourself to try and bring people together?

It also sounds like you could benefit from coaching. I've just finished and Interntional Leadership Program and had the benefit of the use of a coach for 5 months. Nothing like a life coach or counsellor, this person puts you in charge of your own decisions but asks pertinent and challenging questions to put you in the right direction.

So far it's been hard work but the focus and structured approach has been helpful. I can PM you the details of the company we used?

SuburbanCrofter Wed 10-Apr-13 16:38:09

I have been working freelance for about six months, and so far have been successful. However because the work has been coming in thick and fast (so far, fingers crossed!), I feel as if I have been winging it slightly making decisions about what work to take on, negotiating with clients, dealing with childcare & worklife balance etc. I really feel as if I need a mentor. I have thought about a few people I know in real life, but none of them are exactly right.

Does anyone know of any organisations that links prospective mentees to mentors? The ones I found online are either too high profile (eg. 'future CEOs of Fortune 500 companies') or are specific to the field such as science and technology. I work in the third sector, so I might be of interest to someone wanting to 'put something back into society' for want of a better term. I think I would prefer a woman too, surely there must be organisations set up to promote women in the workplace? Does anyone have any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now