HMRC advice

(7 Posts)
muststopsnacking Wed 10-Apr-13 13:01:33

Just spoken to HMRC who were very helpful - I've now registered for PAYE and will be sending in my Real Time Information via their system going forward. Was really surprised at how helpful they were - don't know what I was so scared about! Think the whole tax/paye side of my business just scared me and I didn't know where to start. Feel much better now! Just thought I'd post to let others know that HMRC are very helpful for new business start-ups.

muststopsnacking Tue 09-Apr-13 17:21:33

thanks for the replies - I think I'll pop in to see my accountant - was hoping I didn't need to but looks like I may have to. Just hope he doesn't charge me too much. Thanks.

The company is a separate entity so you cannot just take money out as you like. You can either pay yourself a salary, in which case you need to be registered for PAYE with HMRC, or extract cash via dividends . Just taking money out would create a director's loan account on which both extra corporation tax and income tax may be payable.
Please see an accountant who can advise you the best way to structure your payments and make sure you're not putting yourself at risk of penalties from HMRC (especially as PAYE reporting has changed this month).

ChocolateHelps Mon 08-Apr-13 22:27:12

Look on HMRC website. You can get a low earnings exemption if you believe earnings, not turnover, will be less than about 5.5k I think, but double check the amount.

TeamEdward Mon 08-Apr-13 19:40:17

No idead - but marking my place for any advice that may be forthcoming!!

mumblechum1 Mon 08-Apr-13 19:40:09

They wrote to me in the first year of business with a bill and I then applied for exemption because I was earning next to nothing for the first few months.

muststopsnacking Mon 08-Apr-13 19:38:51

Hi, any help gratefully received. Business up & running - ltd company. Have registered for corporation tax online HMRC (although unlikely to be taxed in first year as my initial predicted earnings very low). Do I need to register for NICs? I estimate to only make about £6k in my first year. Do I register for NICs at a later point? As my earnings will be so low, can I just take a little sum of money out each month from my business bank account and not really worry about anything else re. tax etc? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now