Virtual Assistant - help with starting off

(3 Posts)
AlliterationAlley Wed 27-Mar-13 23:19:04

Hi.

I'm looking into becoming a VA.

Starting off with purely typing service and expanding into other areas as I go along.

What equipment do I need? (Obviously I've got my own views on this, I'm just trying to find out what I'm missing).

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 29-Mar-13 18:54:49

Hi

Congrats on getting started!

I am not a VA, so not sure how helpful this is (!) but I would say:

- A PC with the usual MS office packages

- Ideally a professional email address (not strictly equipment)

- A phone number, I just offer my mobile but I know some freelancers offer a landline/0845 number etc.

- Ideally a website or an updated LinkedIn profile to prove who you are (again not strictly "equipment")

- A way to track your time. V important if you are charging by the min.I use www.paymo.biz/ to track my time (marketing freelancer). It is free and has an app too. A VA I use told me she uses www.nchsoftware.com/timesheet/index.html - which I think carried a cost - both can help you produce invoices to.

You might have already looked at this but www.peopleperhour.com is a freelance website where people post all sorts of "jobs" they need doing, many that could be done by a VA. It could help you work out if you need any other equipment etc.

You pay the site commission out of the price you propose for doing the job. If you are interested in bidding for work on there I offered some suggestions under a former name here - www.mumsnet.com/Talk/freelancers/1326332-peopleperhour-com-anyone-use-this-Help-me-with-my-first-bid-pls It isn't always the best paid work, but it can be a way to get started and get some experience.

Hopefully some of this is helpful.

Good luck.

AlliterationAlley Thu 11-Apr-13 22:38:22

Thanks - it's all coming together, albeit slowly...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now