Selling my products to wider audience

(4 Posts)
LauraKiora Wed 03-Apr-13 23:40:09

I would imagine that the gluten and dairy free options is what makes you unique.

I eat a gluten free diet. In my local (quite rural) high street there are 3 bakeries and at least 3 coffee shops, none of which offer gluten free products - most likely because it is not worth their while to make that option for the handful they would sell every day. However, you could bake up a whole batch, maybe decorate slightly differently so its not totally obvious that its the same supplier for every outlet, then split the batch across a number of different shops. You might need to offer them sale or return, or perhaps that they don't pay any outlay at all, and instead take a of the sales. This works for them too, as someone on a gluten / dairy free diet wasn't going to buy any of their other products so they won't be cannibalising their own sales, and they might sell extra products as a result of appealing to this new clientele.

Harder to get retailers to take other baked goods as they most likely already stock alternatives, so what would be in it for them.

It's late, I'm rambling, but hope I've conveyed my point.

GettingGoing Tue 02-Apr-13 22:44:46

Editorial in local press, Facebook, Twitter, find someone to manage your content marketing and offer free advice so people are led to your website [not entirely sure what advice you can offer about cakes ...], LinkedIn, farmers' markets. There are lots of large rural events around you - Badminton Horse Trials, Gatcombe etc - they always have large craft/food fairs too. Partner with whoever takes food around local offices.

PoppyWearer Tue 26-Mar-13 22:57:37

Facebook helps to spread the word, offer prizes (of your cakes) occasionally to people who like/share your page.

Have a stall at a nearly-new sale selling your wares? With business cards for people to pick up.

Donate to a school fair in return for publicity?

Jtemjm6 Tue 26-Mar-13 22:54:02

I set up a cake business making home made celebration cakes, cupcakes, cake pops and sugar craft flowers etc. I also make cakes for people who are coeliac or dairy intolerant.
I have recently became a private limited company but not sure where I go with the business now, would like to sell my products on a stall in the Bristol area or even somehow get into shops (although think that maybe a pie in the sky idea!) but just looking for advice really as to how I get my products known or what the next step for me is, Any advice would be much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now