Please could I ask if any of you would use these sales?

(5 Posts)
lovethesummer Mon 25-Mar-13 12:03:15

Hi

I have been thinking for a while of organising some sales events - in effect table top sales - for small new businesses to showcase their goods and get some business cards and flyers out.

My idea would be to hire a venue that is in a towncentre or similar that would already have passing trade and to sell tables at about £20 (depending on how much I have to pay for venue hire) for the day and sellers keep whatever they make. I would post flyers and adverts everywhere that I could around the venue but would also ask that the seller markets the event in whichever way they can (Ebay shop, FB, school book bags depending on what they are selling) as well.

There wouldn't be restrictions on what is being sold (within reason!) as the idea is that anyone with anything to sell or showcase can use the opportunity to get their name out there.

The idea came after I wanted to sell some bridal and vintage goods but could not afford the wedding fair prices. It seemed to me that the only options were a cold car boot sale (not really right for bridal anyway!) or Ebay but I really wanted to show the collection.

Would you use a day sale like this? I would also keep the names and numbers of sellers if they wanted and maybe organise a few networking events for people with start-up and small businesses.

Would be great to have your thoughts and any other ideas about how this could or couldn't work.

Thankyou everyone

flowery Mon 25-Mar-13 12:07:19

How would you entice buyers in? If there's no restrictions on what is sold then you don't have a theme, or a common target audience.

AlwaysOneMissing Tue 26-Mar-13 17:02:37

If it was well thought out I would be interested (Flowery makes a good point).

I actually sell a service rather than needing to showcase goods to sell, but I'd still consider it for networking and to get leads.

NaturalBaby Tue 26-Mar-13 17:08:36

I'm not sure how it would work and be a success if you had too much variety of goods/services on offer.

We have a local networking group that organises regular events for small businesses to work together. There is a big baby/child focus to a lot of the businesses so we work together at similar events to offer a variety of goods and services to a like minded audience.

There have been a few local pop up shops and markets selling craft items, home made and vintage items. There's one about once a month that has a coffee shop on one side and sells vintage stuff at the other end. Tea, coffee and cake seems to be a common factor in getting people through the door!

GettingGoing Fri 05-Apr-13 10:37:56

I think you would need a general theme - 'vintage' or whatever. You would also have to be careful that carbooters didn't book tables and lower the tone change the emphasis. May be a good pre-Christmas event, or something for a bank holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now