Neither Mumsnet nor Barclays has checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Please do not use this topic to post promotional messages about your business venture; if you do, your post may be deleted as spam.

Does anyone else have problems switching off?

(8 Posts)
GettingGoing Sat 23-Mar-13 16:40:15

Thank you both smile. Yes, I probably need to so more on the phone & 9pm is probably a good cut off point!

semi Fri 22-Mar-13 09:11:35

My advice? Do as much interacting as you can over the phone. Amazing how much time/effort/energy we spend on one way communications like text, email. It's something I've recently re-adopted.

Talkinpeace Thu 21-Mar-13 22:23:23

DH and I have both been self employed for 15 years.
We both do not work after 9pm (unless he's away and then I work late)
We do not work on Friday evenings, Saturday evenings or Sundays.
We do NOT do email on our phones.
All emails are left for several hours before responding
I do not take my phone with me into the gym.
DH turns his off when he's on site.
If the sun is shining the phones do not come up the garden with us!

GettingGoing Thu 21-Mar-13 00:27:30

Wow- 20 years! There are some really good ideas there, thank you. I do make sure that I am 'sort of' around for the whole week-end - but because I am a start up, I feel I am there in body if not in mind.

I still go to the gym twice a week, but for 50 mins, rather than my much longer sessions.

I need to be stricter with myself!

VenusRising Wed 20-Mar-13 23:17:49

Make sure you take at least half a day on the weekends, and at least a week in the summer! No screen time after 11 pm.

I'm not the best for taking my own advice, but the following have proved very useful.

Learn how to prioritise and how to chop tasks up into 'mouthfuls', set yourself realistic weekly goals. Have a meeting with yourself every week to assess how you are on each project. Allot non negotiable time to doing administration/tax etc every week, to keep up to, date with legislation compliance, vat etc.

Get rid of crappy clients: those who don't pay on time or in full, and those who don't do their part of the project.

Take up a non business hobby to get you out of the house. A yoga class, a daily walk.

Join a local business network and go to the events!

Enjoy yourself, I love working in my own business, and am celebrating 20 years next year!

GettingGoing Wed 20-Mar-13 23:05:46

He is helping, but is about to start a job with very long hours. The children are old enough now not to need constant attention, so that is good.

It's really knowing where to draw the line between work and home life - or maybe I shouldn't.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 20-Mar-13 15:39:31

I am also self employed and work in a home office. Unless DH helps, I get in a real mess.

Is your DH helping too? With regards to entertaining DC and the housework?

GettingGoing Wed 20-Mar-13 13:59:21

I am working from home and though I absolutely love what I am doing and can't believe I feel so positive about it, I seem to be working every hour God sends, apart from when I am with the children. I feel I'm not focusing on them or DH enough - but scared to take my eye off the ball.

My office is in the house and I know I should set myself strict hours of work, but the school day is so short, I end up with too much to do.

Any ideas welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now