clothing shop

(8 Posts)
floweryblue Sun 10-Mar-13 22:59:55

If you are determined to try, you need to find 'short order' suppliers, where you don't need to commit to stocking your shop with £20K orders when trade is slow, six months in advance (trade commitments are what have done for many high street retailers).

There was a street in London where you could buy 'hand-to-mouth' for trade, but I can't remember the name of the street, I think it was the street between Oxford Street and Baker Street tube, but I am talking 15 years ago now ...

floweryblue Sun 10-Mar-13 22:46:12

You won't find what you are looking for. It doesn't exist. I know because we used to be able to do it, just about, and even though we stopped over 6 years ago, people still come in and ask where the clothes are, mmm you haven't even been in the shop for 6 years, there's your answer...

LadyFace Sun 10-Mar-13 22:39:40

Get a copy of Drapers Record to see when the next lot of trade shows are coming up. From my days in fashion I think it is about end June/July for SS14.
Put together a wish list of brands that will complement each other but also offer something different.

Before you approach each brand get your business plan in order as you will be selling yourself to them. Know who your customer is and have a look at any competitors nearby, see what brands they have, how much space is dedicated to them. Also, have you thought about getting in touch with any local talent?

steppyhen Sun 10-Mar-13 22:15:46

just searched moda 2013 looks like i have have missed out it was end of feb next one aint until summer do you know of any pther that are worth a look at?

chinup2011 Sun 10-Mar-13 22:06:46

Hi
Pay a visit as a buyer to Moda 2013 and you can visit the various brands there and speak to them about your proposals. If you google ' clothing trade shows' there may be other trade shows around and the dates and times. Good luck!

steppyhen Sun 10-Mar-13 21:40:46

its driving me crazy i have a vision and i just need help!!! i love brands like french connection,lipsy, french connection and we are just lacking on stores that sell these brands !

germyrabbit Sun 10-Mar-13 21:37:45

we have local boutiques that sell brands such as french connection, desigual etc have you tried contacting the brands you like to see if they would sell to you? (have no idea how it works myself)

steppyhen Sun 10-Mar-13 21:35:32

hi. I have the money, i have support from dh but what i dont have is the information on seeking what i need to know.
I have trowled the net and still have got no where. I would like to open a small clothes shop selling good quality ladies clothing and a resonable price, their are loads of vacant shops near by and we dont have a great selection of clothes shops near by nearest area is 20 miles away where we have a newlook, dorothy perkins, river island and top shop... and a small debenhams!
where do i even look for clothing ? i have searched wholesalers and all thats coming up is tat!!! i want to find smart , good quality items ! am i asking for too much?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now