Thinking of starting up a pre school....am I mad?

(4 Posts)
Badvoc Mon 25-Feb-13 14:03:31

My sons pre school is closing sad
Partially a slight funding deficit (£400) and also the fact that the school who it rents its premises from wants them out sad
It is not yet a registered charity and there are 2 current staff who could be employed.
As I understand it, ofsted intend to make it a rule that all pre schools have to have a manager with a degree?
I could do that, if I got help with funding it.
We would offer 15 hours per week initially (as per govt funding) for 5 sessions per week - a mix of afternoon and morning.
Ideally, we would like to offer more hours, but due to venue restraints would have to start at 15 hours.
I am pretty sure I could get a reduction in church hall fees as we would be using it for 40 odd weeks of the year.
Have any of you done this or similar?
Any advice?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 26-Feb-13 14:33:55

Hi there again

Not sure if you are mad or not but I do admire you greatly! I am sure the £400 could be covered by fundraising as you mentioned on the other thread.

I would definitely start with the Council. They might be able to give you an idea of potential "customer" base? As an non-emotional outsider I would say that is a key part of whether or not it is viable. Although, the other 2 local pre-schools would suggest that it is viable - you might just have to 'fight' them for customers. I just hear "village" and think, 'not many kids'....

I know our Council (Redbridge, Ldn) have dedicated people aimed at helping childminders with registration etc. I also remember reading from them that locally 16% of nurseries (so not pre-schools) have vacancies, although you wouldn't know that from how busy they seem.

My unborn DC isn't guaranteed a place next March at the nursery DC1 went to. I do think there is an element of marketing involved "put yourself down on the waiting list" which creates an frenzy about places etc. Maybe there is something in that. There is a local nursery that advertises in a local mag and I always think "Not sure I want to go there, they have to advertise" etc.

Reading this post did remind me that I successfully secured a grant for our local NCT, some of which went towards running a new playgroup. It was Awards for All from the National Lottery. They cover materials but not staff. www.awardsforall.org.uk/england/index.html It is a very easy application process and the turn around is quick. As mentioned on my other post though you will need to be meeting a need, ours was young mums/breastfeeding etc from memory.

Hopefully somebody who has run a pre-school will be along soon.

Good luck.

Badvoc Tue 26-Feb-13 14:36:29

Thank you

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 07-Mar-13 21:31:05

Hi Op

Sorry nobody with relevant experience has been along to share.

Saw this and thought of you though:

www.tescomagazine.com/mum-of-the-year/winners-2013/mireille-williams.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now