need advice from mums & dads

(6 Posts)
AlwaysOneMissing Sun 24-Feb-13 09:57:40

I actually think this is a great idea. I saw a buggy chained up like this at a a family farm with a small lock and thought what a good idea it was.
I do worry about my buggy getting stolen, it cost £600 and there are some on the market that are much dearer than that even. Easy pickings for an opportunistic thief.
If you marketed yourselves well and aimed to be stocked by baby shops (Mothercare, kiddicare etc) I think this could be successful.
Good luck.

PoppyWearer Fri 22-Feb-13 21:58:48

I've seen a car park in London (near Waterloo) where there is a buggy park and lots of buggies chained up with bike locks.

I think that with buggies there is usually the assumption that no one would steal them. But of course the savvy thief might know what they can be worth.

My biggest fear has actually always been at theme parks, where you often abandon your buggy for an hour or more and just have to trust that it will be there when you return.

But then wouldn't I just use a bike chain if I were really worried?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 22-Feb-13 21:54:40

I just used a cheap lock from a pound shop. As you said it won't deter a determined thief but it makes my pushchair less "steal-able" than an unlocked one.

A potential issue with the coin operation thing, is the different shapes and sizes of pushchairs/buggies? But am sure you have thought of that.

Would also say that there is a fairly short window when I worried about pushchair stealing. I had a quinny for the early months which I was concerned about loosing.

By the time I had moved on and used my Maclaren type for a year or so it was so battered looking I didn't imagine it would be stolen.

Can see that scooters would work.

Not sure if that helps.

BoredEasily Fri 22-Feb-13 18:45:08

I've never felt my buggy was at risk of being stolen (always too battered) but maybe for brand spanking new ones. Scooters on the other hand - I've had one stolen and know of others who have.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Feb-13 18:41:16

Hi there
We have moved this to our business start ups topic
thanks
MNHQ

buggytheftsolution Fri 22-Feb-13 16:31:32

We have developed a product which would secure 4 pushchairs with a similar device to a £1 coun lock you would use on a locker.

Although it would not stop someone cutting the wires we hope it would deter opportunist theft.

I have seen loads of articles in the press about stolen pushchairs but as my kids are grown up now and 15 years ago my pushchair was not worth stealing i would be interested to know if there is a need for it.

I was thinking it could be useful un play centres, doctors surgeries, leisure centres where they would prefer you not to take pushchairs past reception.

This is not an advert and i am not mentioning product names as just looking for feedback. I would appreciate any words of wisdom smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now