Where to start?

(6 Posts)
Madratlady Thu 21-Feb-13 11:30:02

I sew and knit and I'd like to start a small business selling handmade bags and purses, possibly branching out to knitted accessories like hats, scarves and gloves. I'm not really sure how to go about turning a hobby into a business though. Any tips and advice would be very welcome!

I'm aware that I'd be unlikely to earn enough to do this full time, but I would like to do it to supplement income from my job.

I also know that a lot of people are trying to sell handmade things. I'm confident that I work to a high enough standard to sell.

SeashellHoarder Thu 21-Feb-13 21:42:16

Hi, it sounds like a lovely idea and just the kind of thing that would make nice gifts.

You could try advertising on some of the larger websites eg not on the high street. You wouldn't need to make an awful lot of stock as you could just make samples to photograph for the site and then make to order after that.

To add value, you could also perhaps customise your designs for people, eg they can choose colours and fabrics etc.

Also, really minor point but take photos of stock outside in the garden on a sunny day, the lighting is much better than indoors and it can look really good.

Best of luck!

ethelb Thu 21-Feb-13 23:47:26

Could you pick your best couple of designs and pitch to places like not on the high street or local gift shops. What about a market stall.

fiddlemethis Sun 24-Feb-13 19:31:27

Hi there, can I recommend that you set up a facebook page and start sharing it, maybe try running a competition when you get to so many likes. Also, there are various selling pages you can join and get sales through those. I have a toy store and I am on "hike those likes" where people like yourselves list the things you sell, I have liked quite a few people I have found on there and I shall be trying to buy off small businesses like myself throughout the year. There are pages that are more specific to craft type things too. Also, I think pinterest would be worth figuring out in your kind of business

bacon Mon 25-Feb-13 14:03:16

School fetes etc only charge £10 per table and you can gauge interest. I seriously would be careful spending on stalls about this value as you havent allowed for this overhead and before you know it you've spent your profit. Agree Facebook. Do B&W flyers (A5). Before you get carried away I would work out your figures. How many would you have to sell to make a few pounds? Allow for fuel and time. Do you have the time and motivation to knock out so many per week? Also dont forget once you do start earning you will need to inform HMRC especially if yr receiving tax credits.

Tenshipisu Wed 03-Apr-13 18:47:17

Hi!
I can offer you a part-time job for $20-25 per hour. Online by Skype. Will be paid on a daily basis. If interested, please mail to: adm24.vacancy@gmail.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now