Offering parenting classes for pre and post nanal parents.. Good or bad idea?

(33 Posts)
BeckyMumOfThree Fri 08-Feb-13 13:51:00

Hi ladies,

hmm Im new to posting on here and really would appreciate some feedback/ advice on what peoples thoughts are of paying to go classes to learn about the basics of looking after and preparing for a baby. Parents and parents to be will be introduced to a variety of tried and tested techniques and support around various aspects in the "4th trimester" such as feeding, sleeping, bathing and colic. The advice and techniques are shown as options for parents to try and make up their own minds what works for them and their baby. The classes are offered as groups or private sessions ranging from £30-60 for 2 hour session. Some health visitors/ midwives or extra support can sometimes be challenging to obtain after having baby and can take weeks to arrange.

I am debabting whether or not there is a market for this sort of thing before i commit myself to doing the training and parting with any finances. Would people be willing to attend this sort of thing if it was in their area? What would tick everyones box to attend a class (apart from being free?! LOL) Any advice or feedback would be great! Thanks in advance x confused

GettingGoing Fri 05-Apr-13 10:42:25

Not sure - overlaps with NCT a bit. From a business perspective I hate to think what your professional indemnity and public liability insurances would cost if your clients are generally parents of first borns. (Haven't read thread so may be repeating)

sparkle12mar08 Fri 08-Feb-13 20:14:40

So basically like a post natal doula? Again I think there's already a presence in that market so yiu'd have to look carefully at what you were providing. But personally a three month course wouldn't cut it for me.

BeckyMumOfThree Fri 08-Feb-13 20:01:15

In a nutshell the course i'd be going on takes 3 months to complete and the methods used would be those used and recommended by parents. One completing the course i'd become a member of FEDANT (Federation of Antenatal Carers) I'd be self employed and my role would be assisting new parents with taking care of babies basic needs of sleeping, bathing, changing, calming etc. We would advise of any guidelines and neither in anyway mislead in medical advice etc as in some cases a midwife or health visitor would need to be consulted.

piprabbit Fri 08-Feb-13 18:48:45

You need to be part of an accredited programme, google "accredited parenting courses" to find a plethora of difference approaches. At least that way you will be operating within a formal framework.

I work with the Family Caring Trust programme and wouldn't dream of trying to work without a full understanding of my responsibilities to the parents, children and myself - especially (but not exclusively) in relation to safeguarding issues. Some of the situations you come across are quite scary - but at least I know I have a great support structure.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Feb-13 18:48:44

Hi there
We have moved this to our business start ups topic
Thanks

DizzyZebra Fri 08-Feb-13 18:39:44

TBH As others have said it's not a one size fits all thing. You are more likely just to leave people feeling patronised and annoyed than actually help anybody.

The practical parts - IE Washing baby, feeding baby, holding baby securely - Are easy and don't require a fee of £30 to learn.

The emotional parts, confidence things like problems with feeding, difficult babies are best left to professionals.

"Teaching" someone confidence is entirely different from teaching them to physically do something. A poor teacher is the absolute worst thing for it. Unless you have studied, experienced and successfully dealt with a wide variety of cases then you shouldn't be trying this TBH, let alone charging for the priviledge.

In fact the more i think about it the more i think this is really unethical and would mostly be preying on the vulnerable and prolonging their issues because they'd be going to someone who's doing it with the qualifications of 'ive popped a couple of kids out so i know everything' rather than an actual professional who can help them.

1944girl Fri 08-Feb-13 18:23:51

That's all very well, but how about classes on handling very difficult teenagers?.In my experience that is the hardest part of parenting.
I may seem biased, as I found caring for a new born baby did not present any problems but I realise there are people out there who may need help.
I am now in a position of having a teenage grandchild living under my roof.Her behaviour is causing me to tear my hair out.Caring for a new born baby is a piece of cake to what may come later.

piprabbit Fri 08-Feb-13 18:02:34

There are an awful lot of not-for-profit organisations doing this sort of things and chasing government funding. It might mean that you are competing against free (or very low cost) classes.

Perhaps if you make it pricey enough it will appeal to the richer people who don't want to be tarred with the stigma of parenting classes. You'd have to think carefully about the branding to make it seem aspirational.

Sunnywithshowers Fri 08-Feb-13 17:59:38

Yep.

Flisspaps Fri 08-Feb-13 17:58:38

Don't MN have rules about doing market research without permission?

Sunnywithshowers Fri 08-Feb-13 17:47:37

YABU to post this in AIBU.

thebody Fri 08-Feb-13 17:16:36

Not sure becky, I think there might be as a sociable gathering meet up thing to chat and make friends but most post natal women organise this themselves.

I think there are so many polarised opinions on baby and toddler raising and so many differing situations you can't teach a one size fits all.

What are your qualifications? Do you have am ethos?

valiumredhead Fri 08-Feb-13 16:55:00

HVs give this advice if needed, I wouldn't pay for a course.

I'm nosy & judgy so I'd like to know too grin

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 08-Feb-13 15:48:22

DizzyZebra
Also, may i ask what makes you feel you are qualified to be 'teaching' this sort of thing?

I'm a children's nurse so I'd like to know too.

DizzyZebra Fri 08-Feb-13 15:29:28

Also, may i ask what makes you feel you are qualified to be 'teaching' this sort of thing?

DizzyZebra Fri 08-Feb-13 15:28:48

No, i've had two children, i don't need any classes about birth. If i have a specific condition or anything in future pregnancy i would ask a qualified professional, which as far as i can see, is not you or anyone you would be hiring?

As for post natal... Why would anyone drag their babys out to a class, presumably the fact their baby isn't dead yet says theyre doing ok?

Is this a BabyCalm thing? (Am I allowed to mention names?!)

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 08-Feb-13 15:13:36

My nct classes did this, so no. Plus HV and midwives give this advice anyway.

What sort of training would you have? Would your advice be based on guidelines and research?

Nct course does a session on this & is available v cheaply Iif in receipt of benefits, so not unattainable for most.

Taffeta Fri 08-Feb-13 14:55:18

95 % of the NHS ante natal classes I went on focused on the birth, not how to look after the baby.

In my mums day, this was taught by midwives during the 10 day stay in hospital....

Taffeta Fri 08-Feb-13 14:54:04

Not at all. See the Kirstie Allsop/NCT thread in active convos.

sparkle12mar08 Fri 08-Feb-13 14:38:30

Umm, isn't this exactly what the NCT and NHS classes already cover?! They did in my day and that's only 7 years ago...

Skyebluesapphire Fri 08-Feb-13 14:14:12

When I had my baby, I had no idea how to change a nappy, make up a bottle, breastfeed, bathe them or anything. The midwives in the hospital were too busy to help or show you how to do anything.

I would have loved some sort of course before I gave birth that would have showed me how to do these things.

BeckyMumOfThree Fri 08-Feb-13 14:09:08

Thanks all. Hmm some mixed reviews. I agree with you Floggingmolly that some people dont have people they can turn to for advice i.e family and the classes would be more of a group and get together for people too, getting out the house etc.

nicelyneurotic, thanks for your input too. The colic class would be a class on its own so people wouldnt need to sit through it if they were lucky enough to escape this particular hurdle.

All interesting points so far though, thank you all wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now