I am about to place a order for a baby cloths to start my business venture....

(19 Posts)
lovemynathy Sun 03-Feb-13 20:34:57

Could you please help me with your honest opinion. I have a 16 mo DS and he grew up in tights (for boys) and hats with ties to keep his ears warms. They all been brought from Eastren Europe and are very cute. Anyway I found a supplier with good prices and want to place an order tomorrow for their spring/summer collection of tights, hats(caps) with ties, some leggins, body (very cute and different).the prices will be around £4 for tights and leggins and same around £4 for a hat. Some mums commented to me that it was great to have boys tights and helps that they cannot pull them off as socks. With hats - lots of people said that they were very cute but nobody mentioned that they prevent babies from ear infection and colds. What do you think? Thank you x

WipsGlitter Sun 03-Feb-13 20:38:03

I had to get my son tights so think its a great idea. I got grey girls ones from asda. Hats with ties, also good if they actually work!

VinegarDrinker Sun 03-Feb-13 20:39:29

I think boys tights is a good idea for a gap in the market. I try and buy unisex ones for my DS but SO many are pink and flowery!

I love hats with ear flaps wouldn't make any non evidence based (and untrue) medical claims about them...

(Btw it's clothes - has an e)

Hope that is helpful

Flisspaps Sun 03-Feb-13 20:40:58

Hats are good to stop the head feeling cold and uncomfortable, but don't prevent children becoming ill.

Ear infections and colds are not caused by being cold.

Flisspaps Sun 03-Feb-13 20:42:18

Also, if this is market research, you need to pay MN for that (as I understand it) and I buy my DCs tights and hats from Primark, they're less than £4 and wash and wear well.

OneHundredSecondsofSolitude Sun 03-Feb-13 20:42:45

My DS's have always worn tights, navy, red, cream, grey. But not sure if they'll be popular in summer, they were always a deepest winter thing for us

TaggieCampbellBlack Sun 03-Feb-13 20:45:13

Clothes

Leggings

Sorry.

Also generally, in Britain, not much call for ear-flapped hats or tights in the summer.

And colds are caused by a virus, not non-hatted.

Sorry.

You can get boys tights from H&M (in store) quite cheaply too.

Toddle Sun 03-Feb-13 20:50:02

I've put ds in boys leggings. Made from tight sort of material with lots of different designs.

I think there great. They stay up and he is free to move and crawl in them. Lots of people asked me where I got them from as no one had seen any. It was impossible to find any locally and these were from china on eBay. They were a little cheaper then yours will be but I would be more then happy to pay £4 to get them in person and have a look/feel etc.

I also put ds in ear muffs when it's very cold or windy. I do it mainly because I get horrid pain in my ears/head/neck when its cold. Again lots of people said it was a good idea and hadn't seen any around for babies.

mummytime Belgium Sun 03-Feb-13 21:19:54

Also beware if the hats have ties to tie the ear flaps there may be health and safety implications.

lovemynathy Sun 03-Feb-13 22:04:27

Thank you for taking time to give your thoughts about my idea, I didn't mean to make it a market research but a friendly advice. TBH I felt attacked about my spelling ....... I have 16 mo exhausted after a day of tantrums and coping on my own... And made a few mistakes and it seems like the end of the world!!!!! I thought MN is a friendly chat not an exam on spelling. Never coming back

VinegarDrinker Sun 03-Feb-13 22:13:32

Erm, ok then. I assumed you were a non English language native and therefore would appreciate the heads up re spelling before spending any money on publicity etc.

Bit of an unnecessary flounce imho but hey ho.

Wow! Faster flounce ever?

I think they were trying to help OP!

Flisspaps Sun 03-Feb-13 22:23:51

I didn't mention the errors, but unfortunately, poor or incorrect spelling reflects badly on a business. I sell items online (not via MN) and also have a business website for my childminding service but always prefer someone to give me a nudge if I make a spelling mistake.

I am knackered - I have a 9mo and 2yo, but it's the little things that make the biggest difference.

CauDyGeg Sun 03-Feb-13 22:25:07

Welcome to MN grin

You did ask for honest advice?

Did you just want people to say "oooh clever you, go for it!" confused

Did you not want honest advice?

All have been valid points. Look out for spelling. The same word spelled incorrectly twice makes it looks like you dont know how to spell it. If you are going to sell leggings and repeatedly spell it as leggins it wont look good! And if you plan to sell leggings on ebay, or other listings sites, nobody searching for leggings will find your leggings, due to spelling error. Computers are clever, but not psychic!

I also dont see the need for leggings, tights and hats for a British summer. For autumn yes, but not for summer.

You risk spending money on ordering clothes that you wont be able to sell for another 6 months, and by then fashions may be different.

DolomitesDonkey Mon 04-Feb-13 19:43:44

OP has talked of this venture previously and it wasn't well received then either. Just bad luck.

ReluctantMother Mon 04-Feb-13 19:48:40

I was going to point out the spellings too, as I thought it was important if she was going to start a business selling clothes, as opposed to cloths.
Ah well. There's no helping some people.

lovemynathy Wed 20-Feb-13 15:35:31

I hope you will read this post. All those who gave me advice - thanks. I just was a bit ...... I don't know what. I totally agree with spelling and gonna be careful from now on. And yes I wanted an honest opinion not pat on the back. I just need to understand for myself that business is not about all nice but professional. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now