Employing People

(4 Posts)

Hello - new to this topic so not sure if am in the right area. DH & I run our own company and have been employing a couple of family member to help as the business has grown. We are now looking in the next few months to taking on a couple more people which will take us to 5 people in total. There will potentially be more before the end of the year.

What do we need to do with regard to setting up/covering ourselves regarding employment law? What polices do we need? Do we have to do everything or are there small business exclusions. Where can I go to find this stuff out - if I google it it just seems to come up with law-firm adverts really - and I want basic, bog standard stuff.

We want to be a fair employer - but we also want to make sure we are not taken advantage of and cover our backs too.

Please help and point me in the right direction.

Thank you

phatwa Thu 31-Jan-13 20:10:32

How are you employing the existing family, i.e. are they self-employed?

No on the payroll - all done through our accountants. Been flexible/ad-hoc hours to start with and now built to a couple of proper P-T roles. We now need to think about a couple of F-T then DH is Director/shareholder and I am shareholder and employee too. We are both on the payroll too.

bacon Thu 07-Feb-13 18:30:59

Yes, your right and as a small business you really need to protect yourself. I would employ a HR rep as pay-as-you avoid big companies go for a small or one man band. We did this recently but luckily the welsh assembly are doing this for free. So we have had someone do all the hardwork. I would check if there are other financial help out there - speak to chamber of commerce/recommendations etc.

I would be extra cautious as a small business you cant afford to employ the wrong person, things like probationary periods are essential and getting as much info on that persons experience. Protecting yourself is paramount.

Perhaps even sub out the interviewing as you said you have family members and this could lead into emotions and ructions as some people seem to 'like' before seeing behind all the interview faff. Only have one person allocated for HR duties too.

Honestly once you start employing life is much harder its a minefield! You do need to lay down the law and requirements right from the outset as sadly may employees take the mic and no matter how much you like them they dont have the same passion as you have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now