Neither Mumsnet nor Barclays has checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Please do not use this topic to post promotional messages about your business venture; if you do, your post may be deleted as spam.

Office / Studio Space with childcare idea in Edinburgh - Please help

(12 Posts)
deedee1974 Thu 31-Jan-13 10:54:59

Hello, I am an undergrad student with a 2 year old daughter, and a project I am working on is looking at the desirability of combining flexible/ freelance work for parents with affordable childcare by the hour in one location. The space would consist of office space, nursery space and ideally would also have a room where classes etc could be held. The aim is to endeavour to enable parents to go back or keep working when baby arrives by choosing the hours they need, and only paying for those. I hope this is clear, and I would really appreciate hearing what you think. Thanks!

AlwaysOneMissing Sat 02-Feb-13 16:49:06

If you start a business like this - I'm moving to Edinburgh!!

Seriously, I think this is a genius idea. It would transform my life.

Duritzfan Sat 02-Feb-13 17:05:01

Have a look at "officreche" in Brighton

ethelb Sun 03-Feb-13 22:51:27

I thin it is a great idea. I have sometimes wondered if one could set up a company that sells franchises for creche's that exist within office buildings? Maybe that's something you could branch out into?

Someone was pitching an idea like that on Dragons Den. It looked awesome but they tore it to pieces on the finances sad

But it's the kind of model we need, surely? I'm behind you OP!

deedee1974 Mon 04-Feb-13 09:06:47

Thanks for replies. I'll try to find the dragons den proposal, because yes, the numbers are concerning, but I would like it to be a social enterprise more than a just for profit business, so will have to be creative with how we charge and cover costs.. Also, will have a look at officreche too. At least it's my tutor I have to pitch to, not the dragons den!!

I really hope you can make it into a viable plan, millions of families would thank you for it!

AlwaysOneMissing Mon 04-Feb-13 19:33:08

You prompted me to search for anything like this in my local area - there is nothing at all. This country is crying out for more provisions like this, it's an excellent idea.

The problem would, I think, be supply and demand. If it was literally a drop-in, you may have hours where there were staff and no children. Have a look at that place on Rose St (maybe the melting pot?) it's a social enterprise hot desking place. No crèche, but it might be worth your while popping in for a chat.

deedee1974 Mon 04-Feb-13 21:41:23

thanks again... Had a look at officreche, and is almost exactly what I have been thinking, especially with regards to using parent volunteer hours. I also agree, couldn't be drop in, as would need to manage staff ratios, as well as know how much space could be booked for other activities. I really appreciate the feedback! Fortunately I get childcare through my uni, but if was working would absolutely be the kind of flexibility I would need.

webstuff Tue 12-Feb-13 21:32:50

I was thinking about this a while back when my kids were really little as it would've been the answer to my problems but at the time I came to the conclusion the demand would be too limited. Until our work culture allows for more flexible hours/work from home jobs then people either have to be in full time work or can't afford ad-hoc childcare as it is difficult to find freelance/flexible work that pays well enough. I also realized that in my area there is a gym with a crèche but the crèche kept going bust and eventually closed due to lack of demand - I know this varies a lot between areas though especially large cities.

At the time I contacted one of the first startups like this in the US to see why they had shut down. They told me it was because the childcare side wasn't financially viable and was too fraught with red tape and issues.

The other thing is now my kids are at school and this is no longer a problem for me I am glad I didn't get involved in a childcare related business, as it's not my background/interest. If childcare isn't your main interest then you might want to think about that too.

Hope that's not too discouraging, as I say it would've been a god send for me if someone else had done it!

deedee1974 Thu 14-Feb-13 21:07:21

Hi webstuff, thank you for that- Yes, have been jotting down all those considerations - many of the subsidised work place creches have closed down too here in the UK. I'm still researching the size of the market in Edinburgh, and flexible freelance % of workers. I appreciate the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now