Calling all Cambridge area mums...

(9 Posts)
jaynebxl Thu 07-Feb-13 12:29:20

I've always thought a business running crafty parties for kids would be interesting.

jaynebxl Thu 07-Feb-13 12:28:45

I'm not sure about the shoe shop idea. There was that nice one near the Rice Boat but it closed some time ago. I assume it closed because business wasn't great but I could be wrong.

Thank you - I'll have a look at them.

elsieG Fri 01-Feb-13 15:57:04

Brilliant, I had no idea about Sew Creative!

Lilymaid Thu 31-Jan-13 20:35:14

Silas - Alas, SIL lives in Sussex, so not local to Cambridge.
Callyco and Sew Creative run classes in Cambridge.

Lilymaid - thanks for the suggestion of the Clarks shoes, mine are just on the cusp of outgrowing kids shoes (as they have small feet) and my search for alternatives was not going well!

Could you let me know your SILs web site? I was thinking the other day I would like to do some sort of crafty course.

Lilymaid Tue 29-Jan-13 16:41:54

"they need black lace ups that can take a pounding from football at lunch time"
My DSs moved onto Clarks men's lace ups (the sturdier sort with rubber soles) when they outgrew the children's ranges.

There is a children's shoe shop (now sells adult shoes as well) in Great Shelford and one in Saffron Walden. Also Burr shoes in Milton Road.

My DSIL (textiles teacher) has set up a small business running sewing classes. Considerable start up costs buying decent sewing machines/hiring halls/setting up website and the return on her investment is fairly small.

Shoe shop that isn't too little children focused would be good. I have secondary school boys - they need black lace ups that can take a pounding from football at lunch time. There doesn't seem to be much between startrite shoes and very thin soled things with pointed toes.

elsieG Tue 29-Jan-13 15:38:12

Hi,

I've been having a few thoughts about what kind of business might work in Cambridge and have come up with the following (random and totally different) ideas...what do you think?

1. A children's shoe shop....
There seems to be very little selection in Cambridge...John Lewis, Clarks and Charles Clinkard...and of course the process is always quite stressful!

2. Craft workshops...
Having wanted to learn how to use a sewing machine a few years ago, I found myself heading off to London. It seems that unless yu want to enroll on a 12 week evening class there isn't much available to teach basic sewing/craft skills in a mix/match workshop environment. I'm thinking this would appeal to Mums, students and even hen parties.

Any thoughts would really be appreciated smile

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now