Does anyone know of a good women's sme networking group?

(10 Posts)
EmNewMum Tue 22-Jan-13 22:38:30

I've just started my own business. I enjoy it but often find the lack of peers to chat to challenging! I would love to find other people in a similar position to meet up and chat with every now again. Im a new start up so need to keep driving the business forward. Anyone know of anything?

I'm not after a super duper networking opportunity more a support style group.

FadBook Tue 22-Jan-13 22:46:09

Depends where you are, but Breakfast for Business (BforB) have several women's groups. They're predominately midlands I think. I went along as a guest - very good, professional but with a relaxed style too.

EmNewMum Tue 22-Jan-13 22:54:50

Brilliant, thank you, I'll check them out. I'm South but its worth a shot anyway smile.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 22-Jan-13 23:11:38

Congrats on starting up.

I attended a few local women's networking groups when I first started out. Women in Business and The Athena Network were both very pleasant groups. I am in London.

There was a focus on networking/developing business, but I got the impression (and this might be an unfair assesment as I only went once to each) that it was more about peer support than red hot opps.

It is definately worth trying out different groups before you commit to membership. They all have a different feel and cost.

ra1ra1 Wed 23-Jan-13 13:33:45

I have also found the Athena Network really supportive and the women at the group in Swindon are so lovely and chatty.

I have also joined iHubbub which is an online network for home business owners and that has been really useful for day to day

Good luck with your new business.

EmNewMum Wed 23-Jan-13 17:20:29

Thanks all. Really appreciated.

rk1981 Sat 26-Jan-13 20:42:34

Another vote for Athena but as Mrs M suggested definitely try a few out as a visitor...they do all have a different feel. Important you find one that is the right fit before making a financial commitment! I've only recently joined my chapter but others have told me they have had referrals as well as support...it does depend on your target market etc.

Where in the south are you Em? I'm in Surrey.

Saddlebagger Mon 04-Feb-13 22:31:47

Thanks...I've signed up for the local Athena as a visitor and will see how I go....

Rk1, I've just moved to Godalming this weekend. You?

Saddlebagger Mon 04-Feb-13 22:33:32

Ps changed from EmNewMum to saddlebagger!

CajaDeLaMemoria Sun 10-Feb-13 20:32:51

Saddle - I live very close to you, and I'm self-employed too. I moved here a month or so ago and it's pretty lonely! I'd be really interested in any groups/online forums/anything that will make me feel less lonely that you find!

Godalming is lovely, but there doesn't seem to be much going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now