As a parent would you be interested in this ?

(14 Posts)
dottysocks Thu 17-Jan-13 19:21:34

I am a primary school teacher with young children of my own and a passion for children's literature. I have an idea to run workshops for parents and carers who like to read with their children. The aim would be to teach and discuss lots of useful ideas and activities that parents can take home and use immediately to make their story times more interactive and fun. It will also be a chance to share, in a friendly and informal environment the things that parents and carers are already doing.
I think a possible way of organising it would be for groups of friends to essentially 'book' me to hold the workshop in one of their houses, as this will create groups who are up for having a laugh together and won't be too shy when it comes to 'performing' in front of each other. Alternatively I could book a venue and advertise to all.
I think it a great idea..but then I am a little biased wink So does anyone agree with me? Is it something you would be interested in and would you pay..say £15 for a one off two hour workshop ? Be totally honest...I'm made of tough stuff smile

Honestly? I wouldn't pay for that. I wouldn't go to a class teaching me how to interact with my child anyway but there are so many different playgroups, childrens centres and library reading sessions that are free and can help with all that I wouldn't consider paying for it.

dottysocks Thu 17-Jan-13 19:31:22

Like the name ! I see what you are saying, thanks for being honest, its not the answer I wanted lol but certainly what I need.

cakebar Thu 17-Jan-13 19:36:19

hmmm. I love reading and sharing books with my children but I'm not sure I'd want to pay for this.

Where you might have a market is with children's centres, this kind of thing is right up their street. Our cc do a course a bit like this, I will pm you the details. You might be able to get booked as a professional story teller at nurseries and pre-schools.

You may also be able to sell an activity based on encouraging early reading.......

Would you consider pitching it at schools instead? Many have literacy provision covered but some don't and might welcome a one-off session they can invite parents to in order to boost Parent Partnership attendances.

Although something like a story class with puppets and the like (jo jingles with books type thing) that cost 2 or 3 pounds a week would be brilliant. Especially on a weekend when its hard to get a class if you work. Not sure if it would be worth it for the money you would make from it though.

colditz Thu 17-Jan-13 19:42:23

I did a six week course through a college teaching me to do exactly this, plus how to help a child who is struggling to read. It was free. So no, I wouldn't be interested, sorry.

colditz Thu 17-Jan-13 19:43:59

Yy, pitch it at organisations, not parents. The course I did was run through sure start I think, and also had an adult literacy qualification offered, to kill two birds with one stone I think.

Catsdontcare Thu 17-Jan-13 19:45:32

As it stands it's not something I would pay for BUT if you made it a session where parents could bring their children and create a story bag to go with their favourite story you might get more interest.

Catsdontcare Thu 17-Jan-13 19:47:48

And I agree you would be better to pitch it at organisations not parents directly. Libraries, pre schools, sure start, playgroups etc

If I'm honest, no. Sorry. My children are fairly young though (2 and 4),so perhaps not your target demographic? I'm not sure if it would appeal to parents who don't currently do much reading, but may come across as a little patronising to those who do? Maybe talk to your local Family Information Service to see if there are any groups working with vulnerable families who might pay you to provide these sessions? Surestarts etc?

Our local library service loans storysacks along with excellent advice cards on bringing the stories to life for a small fee, but if your local library service doesn't do this perhaps this is something that parents would pay to borrow?

dottysocks Thu 17-Jan-13 19:50:04

Thanks everyone, lots of really good feedback and ideas, its so helpful to discuss with others.

sunnyday123 Thu 17-Jan-13 19:55:48

No sorry I'm not sure I'd go even if it were free purely because its something that I enjoy doing on a one to one with my child and already do. I'm sure most parents probably do okay without the help. Sorry don't mean to sound negative!

dottysocks Thu 17-Jan-13 20:27:04

Not negative at all, its helpful to me. As NeverQuiteSure suggests, my worry was that parents may feel its a bit like 'teaching your granny to suck eggs' type thing and could come across as patronising. My aim was really not to teach people how to read with their children but share various games, activities and ideas I have learned over the years to add to what is already being done at home. I do however take all the above opinions on board and as I have had useful advice from every single poster, I'm off to have a big think. Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now