Neither Mumsnet nor Barclays has checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Please do not use this topic to post promotional messages about your business venture; if you do, your post may be deleted as spam.

Business venture- premature baby clothes

(6 Posts)
betterwhenthesunshines Fri 25-Jan-13 20:51:33

Mothercare always seemed to have them in stock and the basic babygros were best. Anything that undoes FULLY down the front was good.

Some French makes had good small sizes and also seemed to be a slimmer fit (sometimes the mothercare ones were quite wide around the middle so when DS pulled his legs up they got pulled into the body of the babygro). Ones where the poppers didn't go far enough down the legs were annoying.

Some shops sold regular baby clothes in prem sizes - these were usually gifts that went straight in the bin - who would put a tiny, fragile, soft skinned baby in denim??? You want something soft.

Need to be good value - grow so fast!

Mosman Thu 17-Jan-13 11:32:38

Now Mothercare and Asda sell them I think that boat may have sailed to be honest

Not a huge range, but easily accessible from Mothercare etc. No 'fussy' clothes, as even the smallest frill can be a bit too big in the early days.
Agree about expensive items not getting much wear.
Vests with tie-fronts were best while in SCBU.

The hospital shop sold donated handknitted cardies and tiny little hats.

DolomitesDonkey Mon 14-Jan-13 17:56:31

Nobody plans to have a premature baby. When I had one we left hospital in an enormous outfit and I cried as my husband ran into town to buy preemie clothes.

It would need to be sold IMO on next day delivery!

redspottydress Mon 14-Jan-13 14:32:50

I had twins with weighing less than 5lb. I did not have time or inclination to buy clothes and was very grateful for the supermarket and boots sleepsuits we managed to get. They went through sleepsuits every few hours as tiny babies nappies often leak. I also felt guilty when people bought gorgeous teeny outfits that they wore once, especially when they were expensive. The other thing is that socks never stayed on, and tights were impossible to come by. Not sure how helpful that is, just my experience.

Nikx85 Mon 14-Jan-13 14:26:11

Well I am about to make the step forward into setting up my own bussiness, And need advice from whoever will give me it!
I am looking at setting up an online clothing and gifts boutique from premature to 5 yrs.

I would love to hear from parents of premature babies about their experiences buying clothes for their tiny ones!
How hard was it to find a local stockist?
How did you find the prices (compared to "regular" sized baby clothes)?
Did you have much choice?
Did you find what you were looking for or did you have to make do with what was on offer?
Did you try the highstreet and/or supermarkets?
Did you use the internet? - if so how long did you wait for delivery, and was P&P extra cost?
And most importantly
What would you like to see more readily available?
Any inside info would be greatly received!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now