Cleaning business -would really like some help/advice please

(29 Posts)
newstart2013 Wed 09-Jan-13 15:25:04

Hi there

I am currently on ML and would really like to start a domestic cleaning business with my two sisters, using only environmentally friendly cleaning products which we would bring. (although i would use clients own cleaning products if that was what they wanted).

My sister also had an idea of us using our own steam cleaners, some thing like this: www.thanedirect.co.uk/steam+cleaners for hard floors and kitchen/bathroom what do you think of this?

We would really want to emphasise on providing good customer service as well as excellent cleaning. Being friendly as well as professional.

I have no idea how to start it up, not sure how to register as a company or name or anything!

I Live in London and would want to work in South east and South West London areas although wouldnt mind travelling as all three of us drive and have our own cars.

possibly charge between £8 - £10 per hour or do you think one off charges like £35 for 2 -3 hours for the whole house? what do you think is reasonable for London?

Any advice welcome.

thanks smile

P.S would i be able to start this whilst i am on maternity leave, whilst receiving SMP?

DolomitesDonkey Fri 11-Jan-13 19:26:57

I'm salivating at the thought of all the insides of the cupboards wiped down, the cutlery all taken out of the drawer and the drawer scrubbed.

(not enough to get my arse off the sofa and do it myself natch! wink)

BoysWillGrow Fri 11-Jan-13 20:35:52

Ahh shucks, a customer gone before I've even started grin

KatyTheCleaningLady Thu 17-Jan-13 23:23:20

I think £10 is the minimum anyone should take. In London, however, you will be up against some very stiff competition from people willing to work for less.

On the plus side, there are a lot of disappointed clients out there.

If you are good (you show up when expected, you do a good job, you are well-presented and care about providing a good service) then you can get more than "the going rate."

Don't worry about price shoppers. You don't need to please everybody. You just need to please enough people to keep yourself busy. Look at it this way: would you rather clean 10 hours for £15 an hour, or 15 hours for £10?

That said, if you're looking for more than "the going rate" then you're going to need to be better than average.

As for "green cleaning." Well, some people do do that. You need to market it strongly. For the most part, most customers don't really care. They just want someone they can trust to show up when expected and do what they're paid to do. I couldn't do eco because I don't really believe in it. I think there's a lot of hype and nonsense and I don't think many of the products are that good. But, I know a woman who IS passionate about it, she absolutely believes in it, and she does very well.

I'm going to pm you now and send you a link to a forum that I have found helpful in my own business.

tigerdriverII Thu 17-Jan-13 23:29:07

Well...

My cleaners work as a pair. They have their own business so there's none of that worrying about "are they my employee" stuff.

They are pricey - £11 per hour each if I provide all materials, Hoover etc, or £12.50 an hour if they do.

They do 2 hours each once a fortnight and the house looks fab. I am very pleased with them but I do know I pay a bit over the odds.

So basically go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now