Neither Mumsnet nor Barclays has checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Please do not use this topic to post promotional messages about your business venture; if you do, your post may be deleted as spam.

Could anyone recommend a forum for getting the views of/selling service to undergraduates?

(7 Posts)
MyNewVenture Tue 08-Jan-13 14:18:20

It's all in the title really.

Thanks very much!

The NUS run surveys, you'd have to pay for them, if it's students from a specific University, go through the student union or find a socially outgoing society and email their chairperson directly.
Students like freebies but are quite savvy these days, be aware they might not tell you the truth, just what you want to hear.

MyNewVenture Tue 08-Jan-13 16:41:29

Thank you. Yes, I had a suspicion that they may be more clued up than I was back then!

I'm not sure a university would let me, because it is an additional service to that already provided by the careers' service. I really need a forum they tend to frequent. Many thanks for your help though.

ProjectOysterdotcom Tue 08-Jan-13 20:51:48

I would guess that students tend to congregate online around similar interests or study topics. I've no doubt that if you googled 'medical student forum' or 'law student forum' you'd find a whole host of options.

Maybe set up a survey online (surveymonkey or Polldaddy or the like) and post link to your survey. Everybody loves a freebie, can you offer your service or a portion of it for free to those that complete? Probably the best market test drive you could get!

Don't forget about twitter to gather your followers (and subsequently market to them later), they're possibly more likely to engage with you there and be more open with any questions you have. Try Tweepwise to build a list of relevant followers.

oh and good luck! smile

MyNewVenture Thu 10-Jan-13 18:49:11

Thanks Projects - can you tell me more about Tweepwise please?

ProjectOysterdotcom Sun 13-Jan-13 11:59:02

I find it great for being able to search for relevant people to follow. Twitter etiquette says they will generally follow you back if you're offering information they'd be interested in so a good way to build your 'tribe' which is generally what social media is for. Mainline advertising is going to be moving away from it's ancient stereotyped model and move into a much more targeted format using social media. There is no typical customer for a product/service anymore, we are more likely to be defined by our common interests or our 'tribe'. With social media platforms those tribes are now far easier to find than ever before.

MyNewVenture Thu 24-Jan-13 16:08:33

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now