selling a business

(14 Posts)

Hi, just seen your post. I sold my online jewellery business last year. It took about 9 months from start to finish, I produced a Sales Document to attract buyers, then they had to sign a non-disclosure agreement before I sent the Memorandum of Sale - detailed doc with full financial info. I had advice from a solicitor who was very helpful. It was a really steep learning curve, smile but the best advice I can give is talk to people who have been there - I found it so useful chatting to others who had been through the process. SO pleased I did it though, it was a great experience!

Reggie100 Sun 20-Jan-13 11:52:28

Hi there

I just saw your post re the potential sale of your online interiors business. If it's still available, would you mind forwarding on some further details, link to the site etc?

Many thanks

Helen

NearlyDoneMum Thu 10-Jan-13 21:45:48

Thank you to everyone who has PM'd me and pleased you liked the site. Yes, it would be very straight forward to add new and different products. It has well established google rankings and a very affluent, large customer base who would likely be interested in other luxury interiors products and services. So a bit like getting the keys to a very efficient shop that is running from day one and a lot easier and less risky than starting from scratch.

9thjan Thu 10-Jan-13 17:08:13

NearlyDone, I've sent you a PM ( or at least I attempted too!) - if I can be of any assistance from a legal perspective, just PM me & I'll forward on my details. Thanks!

NearlyDone - sent you a pm with my mail address in it.

NearlyDoneMum Wed 09-Jan-13 13:23:03

Though the website is set up so that it would be very easy to add new and different products. Luxury interiors products would particularly suit.

NearlyDoneMum Wed 09-Jan-13 13:00:27

It's an own brand textile business with own brand and bespoke products. I note that you are not supposed to promote your venture on the site so am reluctant to put a link to site (New to Mumsnet, so not sure of the rules!). However if you email me directly I can send you a link. Assume that is allowed.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Wed 09-Jan-13 12:56:12

What is the business?

NearlyDoneMum Wed 09-Jan-13 12:52:54

Thats got me thinking. My last child is off to university this September and I had decided to cease my online business then in order to travel. But it might be brilliant for another mum with younger children. Takes only about 3 - 4 hours a day / 4 days a week, a bit longer in November and December. Has been going since about 2004 and always profitable earning me around 25k-45k per annum. Everything set up so very easy to manage - vat, card payment, fullfillment, stock ordering, packaging, labels etc. Anyone interested? Would consider selling for cost of current stock plus monthly fee. It is an enjoyable business to run - going to lovely interiors shows a few times a year and was always able to do school runs/sports days/plays/coffee mornings and cover illness and school holidays.

hereincornwall Wed 09-Jan-13 10:29:05

Would it be worth putting and ad on here too? there seems to be lots of mums looking for a new venture.... could be perfect for someone?

webshop Tue 08-Jan-13 18:24:42

thanks

Daltons, RightBiz etc all value and sell businesses. Some are virtual.

kdoc Mon 07-Jan-13 21:53:52

You could try talk to a local bricks and mortar firm operating in the same space. Or approach one of your competitors. Depending on the type of business, your accountant would normally be a good person to talk to as they'd have a business contacts locally and have a good idea of who is doing well enough to take on another business.

Best of luck with it

webshop Mon 07-Jan-13 15:28:27

Does anyone have any idea how/where to go about selling a business. I built an online shop which I now find I barely have time to run properly/promote etc. It seems a shame for it to be idle when the right person could make it work. Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now