Neither Mumsnet nor Barclays has checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Please do not use this topic to post promotional messages about your business venture; if you do, your post may be deleted as spam.

Should I set up an ebay shop as well as my website shop.

(6 Posts)
ColinFirthsGirth Sat 29-Dec-12 17:28:03

Hi,
I am a complementary therapist and I have recently launched my website for my treatments. The website also has an online shop selling items such as aromatherapy products, oil burner, high quality soap, bath bombs, relaxation cd's and books. I have only had two orders so far (I do realise it will take a good while to build up business.) I am wondering if I will sell more if I also have an ebay shop selling some of these items? Would this help increase sales and also drive traffic to my website?

Thanks

The short answer is possibly.

Are these items/products unique to yourself or are there other retailers for it?

If other people are selling it online and through ebay then you are less likely to make sales. If you type in 'Product Name' does your online shop feature in the first page of options to buy from on google?

ColinFirthsGirth Sun 30-Dec-12 16:52:51

Thanks for the reply Mrscumberbatch.

The products are not unique to myself, I get them from a few different wholesalers. The website is fairly new and the only people that have purchased anything through it so far have been people I know. The products are things such as bath bombs and soap etc and my shop doesn't feature in the front page on google for these products although the website does feature on the front age of listings for my local complementary therapy work. I would like to put together gift baskets etc for valentines day and mothers day etc and so wondered if they would been seen by more people on ebay than my website.

ColinFirthsGirth Sun 30-Dec-12 22:18:04

I would really appreciate it if anyone else has advice in relation to ebay shops. Thanks

Zebrano1 Thu 10-Jan-13 16:14:18

People will definately see them on ebay but the fee's are high which drains any profit so it all depends on the maths! If it works out that after ebay fees and postage etc you make a profit then why not? give it a go. You really need to try these different things to see what works for you as a business. If it doesnt work then try something else until you find something that works for you. Good luck.

ProjectOysterdotcom Sun 13-Jan-13 12:30:55

Also some products are not authorised to be sold on ebay. Check with your product manufacturer.

What about trying Etsy?

And in terms of your services as a therapist, what about putting packages (product and service) or vouchers together and selling those?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now