Neither Mumsnet nor Barclays has checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Please do not use this topic to post promotional messages about your business venture; if you do, your post may be deleted as spam.

Selling resources

(6 Posts)
internationalbeeboo Fri 14-Dec-12 14:19:42

My DH and I have created French classes for monolingual children (pre-school level) based on the approach we've used at home with our bilingual DD. After a year and a half of classes, we've got quite a lot of original resources, including colouring/activity sheets that I have created, fun learning games, original phonics-type illustrated story booklets, lesson plans, etc...all of which have been test-run and work! We've been contacted by someone working for a council saying she'd be interested in buying the resources, so I'm now wondering how we can package the resources we've made and sell them. I imagine a book, that could be dipped into as an accompaniment to curriculum or homeschooling, but I don't know where to start in terms of contacting a publisher and how much prep I would have to do before sending the ideas. The resources represent about 3 years of work and planning, so I don't want to just give the ideas away...! Any thoughts or ideas?

chelseamorning Fri 14-Dec-12 14:31:49

That's fantastic!

What about a website? Have some freebie information to establish your authority, and then perhaps some subscription-only resources?

chelseamorning Fri 14-Dec-12 14:36:29

Sorry, hit the post button too early!

How about offering some paid lessons at local pre-schools? They often like to give value-added activities to justify their costs to parents. That'll give you chance to try out and develop your materials etc on a larger group. Also good for Reception children too so you could approach local schools too.

Personally, I wouldn't go to the expense of publishing just yet as that'll just add to your running costs. Best to develop and test the market.

Good luck!

internationalbeeboo Fri 14-Dec-12 15:12:44

Thanks for your reply chelseamorning, we've actually been running classes for the last year and a half for pre-schoolers, as well as at a local private nursery and some freebie sessions at our DD's primary school. I develop the content with my DH and he gives the classes in French. The website already has a few samples www.culturefrog.com under the First Steps in French Pre-Schoolers heading, we have made a CD and one of the phonics booklets can be viewed under Free French Fun. It's all gone down really well, the children (and their parents) enjoy the lessons and most importantly it's all it's good fun! A lot of people have commented on the style of the materials we use, because we have made it all it's very distinctive, so I'm just trying to work out how to open up a new revenue from the masses of work we've already done!

breadandbutterfly Fri 14-Dec-12 22:31:56

Self-publish it and sell it on Amazon? Then no middleman nicking your ideas/taking a cut? Or subscription idea on website as above/

Or approach educational ,publishers and offer it to them? but obviously more likely to nick your ideas.

FriendlyLadybird Tue 08-Jan-13 16:06:02

I would suggest you self-publish first, selling on your website and maybe through Amazon. Build up your brand and your following -- and then approach a publisher. They will pay much more for something that is already working and popular.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now