Honest feedback on jewellery designs please.

(37 Posts)
eatsleeppoop Mon 03-Dec-12 13:47:17

Hello all

I am a SAHM and have been thinking about starting up an online jewellery business selling some of my designs. However before I plough lots of time and money into this, I want to get some feedback on whether my designs would sell! Any ideas on how to achieve this would be gratefully received, or if you could spare a few minutes to look at the couple of photos I have on my profile that would be fantastic.

My first idea is for a vintage-inspired range of beaded jewellery using semi-precious stones, swarovski crystals and rhinestones with antique brass findings (see picture for prototype earrings).

My second idea is for a range of pendants and earrings made with Liberty fabrics coated in resin (see picture for prototype pendants).

Would you buy either of these?

Without spending a fortune, how can I gauge the popularity of my designs?

Thanks in advance.

ginmakesitallok Mon 03-Dec-12 20:35:42

The pendants are lovely - couldn't you do a smaller version as earrings?

DoIgetastickerforthat Mon 03-Dec-12 21:07:18

Pendants are lovely, I would buy for a reasonable price. The earrings are fine but have seen a lot similar on craft websites.

JingleBellaTheGymnast Mon 03-Dec-12 21:16:22

The earrings are too home made crafty for me. I like the idea of the pendant, perhaps you could capitalise on the vintage/retro fashion and use the same technique but with a little retro picture or pattern? Or initial in American Typewriter font?

TheSecondComing Mon 03-Dec-12 21:55:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ClareMarriott Tue 04-Dec-12 10:08:07

Dear Eats

What I would do rather than asking what people would pay for your jewellery is work out what it cost you in time and materials to produce them and then add on a bit for profit. You will need to do some market research so book a table at a vintage/retro fair and/or wedding fair and gauge the interest from there. good luck

SavoyCabbage Tue 04-Dec-12 10:24:53

I don't like the earrings. I do like the pendants which reminded me of one o bought at the weekend from this company. I liked the way they had the resin pendants on the chain with something else.

eatsleeppoop Wed 05-Dec-12 14:21:38

Thank you for all your comments and good ideas - I am encouraged to look further into selling the pendants and am going to try creating some Liberty print stud earrings too.

JingleBellaTheGymnast Wed 05-Dec-12 16:52:13

Are you allowed to use the Liberty print? Is there a copywrite issue?

JingleBellaTheGymnast Wed 05-Dec-12 16:54:00

Oops, a spelling issue there!

eatsleeppoop Wed 05-Dec-12 17:27:26

I just assumed that I could given the number of people selling things made from fabrics, but that's a good point, I will look into or does anyone know?

Entreprenizzle Fri 07-Dec-12 22:11:06

I prefer the earrings, which I thought were nice (but would be a bit heavy for my ears - I worry about my piercing being pulled too big).

How about trying out your designs at school fairs etc to see how they go down, before you invest in a website?

I know someone who made lovely jewellery all year and then had two open days at her house each year to sell her things. Someone else just made things to sell at school fairs. Another made some beautiful things that I noticed on a friend's Facebook page.

If people really like your things, they will probably ask if you have a website too (I always do).

Entreprenizzle Fri 07-Dec-12 22:13:36

PS: Love baublesandbailey's idea.

Sorry to be morbid, but you could offer likewise for people who have lost someone and want something to keep close to them (so you could use material from their favorite clothes).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now