Ecommerce - can we talk about your online shop?

(12 Posts)
costumequeen Sat 26-Jan-13 17:54:03

I'm in the process of building my own ecommerce shop so I can expand from my etsy shop in the next few months. I sell vintage haberdashery and plan to extend my range to fabrics and patterns too. Hopefully I can make it my sole employment by the end of the year!

Saffra Tue 27-Nov-12 10:35:01

Sounds very exciting, mrscumberbatch. I'm all for having as much control as possible (for seo, control on brand and costs etc.) so sounds like a step in the right direction.

We are shifting to our own custom purpose built website at the end of the month with google optimisation and branding being led by an external agency.

It's very exciting, but 100 times better than anything that I could have put together myself. Initial outlay is high, but will save us money long term <fingers crossed>

Saffra Sun 18-Nov-12 19:36:13

Ah right, interesting.

The vast majority of my suppliers are small businesses themselves, so it's all above board.

ethelb Sun 18-Nov-12 15:08:25

I keep on getting slapped wrists for saying what I sell on here, but it is herb and vegetable seed subscriptions.

Are there really suppliers selling direct on NOTHS? That's a bit scary considering they are supposed to represent small business.

Saffra Sun 18-Nov-12 10:33:55

Also - has anyone made the move into their own premises? (Full ecommerce, not bricks and mortar shop). Would be very interested to know how it's gone for you.

Saffra Sun 18-Nov-12 10:27:52

Good to know re NOTHS. I'm not sure about the feasibility of going on NOTHS as several of my suppliers have a presence on there already selling direct, but I guess it might be worth a look for the ones that aren't.

What do you sell, EthelB?

ethelb Sat 17-Nov-12 22:55:18

I'm on noths and had quite a lot of sales after getting nothing on etsy. They have quite a big wedding section.

Not had any sales through Etsy, but lots from my fb page... Will have a look thanks!

Saffra Fri 16-Nov-12 13:47:28

well, it's still a learning curve coming up to 3 years on! How are your Etsy sales? Have you tried Not On The High Street?

Actually read their book recently which reignited my motivations for expansion!

I am not as far along as you, have a fb page, an etsy shop and am hoping to one day develop my business making quilts and baby bedding bundles as far as you have done.

Well done for your amazing job and hard work - will be watching thread eagerly grin

Saffra Fri 16-Nov-12 13:40:31

I have an online shop - and would love to hear about what you do and share tips.

I sell high end bridal accessories and wedding jewellery, and have been trading for a few years and have a pt employee. Love what I do and it's fitted in brilliantly with being a mum (so far). Set up prior to starting family. I'm at a stage now where I'm hoping to really take things up a notch, and have started to implement a number of marketing plans. All which require extra investment and added risk - exciting but makes me feel slightly nervous too.

If anyone wants to hear any tips, I'd happily share. Because it can be bloody hard work, as I know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now