Neither Mumsnet nor Barclays has checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Please do not use this topic to post promotional messages about your business venture; if you do, your post may be deleted as spam.

Pusblishing a Cookboox

(11 Posts)
multitaskmama Wed 14-Nov-12 14:06:52

Hi MNetters,
Can anyone recommend any decent publishers at competitive rates?

Also anyone know how I can go about marketing this book once published?

I would like my website: Healthy Indian Recipes published into a book. Am a SAHM so have a lot of time atm.

TIA x

multitaskmama Wed 14-Nov-12 16:18:58

Excuse the terrible typos in the heading blush

paneer Wed 14-Nov-12 17:10:32

watching with interest

PurpleGeekyGirl Wed 14-Nov-12 21:58:10

I'm in the process of self publishing a kindle book at the moment, mainly because I can keep more of the royalties (70%) and also to show proof of need/concept when I then contact publishers.

BTW multitaskmama have you seen this ad? I know on a different thread you were asking about teaching health indian cookery smile http://www.ujob.co.uk/job/cookery-tutor.htm

multitaskmama Thu 15-Nov-12 09:21:08

You are a darling PurpleGeekyGirl I just took a look at the offer but its in Yorkshire and I'm in South London but I will bookmark the site and keep a lookout. Thats a really good point about the royalties, I will try that too, it will save on costs too if I can publish myself like you have been doing. That's a very good idea. This is the first time I'm using Mumsnet to ask for help and the response has been great! The power of mums hey! Thank you all.

PurpleGeekyGirl Thu 15-Nov-12 13:42:19

smile mmm at least the jobs you're looking for exist! I want to offer demos/classes for people and ended up talking to the Asda checkout lady today as she wanted some baking advice!

multitaskmama Thu 15-Nov-12 17:15:01

PurpleGeekyGirl have you tried the noticeboards here for your demos/classes. What about flyers in the local library, playgroups, supermarket noticeboards etc?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 15-Nov-12 17:20:22

It might be a bit small scale for you, but have a look at Blurb.

It's a self publishing thing, you layout your own book the way that you want it (and they will do ISBNs if you want that). You can then sell the book on their site at whatever price you want in hardcopy, or ebook format.

I don't know much more than that, but may be worth a look.

multitaskmama Thu 15-Nov-12 20:30:59

Thanks ItsAllGoingToBeFine I will check it out smile

Lillyaan Fri 16-Nov-12 22:09:07

Really interested to see your tip re Blurb Publishing oportunity. I have an old home made receipe notebook which belonged to my G/Grandmother.
I would love to publish but no idea how to /or if I would have to add photos of the dishes. Any advice.

multitaskmama Mon 19-Nov-12 00:44:18

Hi lillyaan If I try out Blurb I will definitely let you know how I get on. I bought a Groupon voucher from Photobox last week which allows me to print my book with some pictures. This will me to have a hard copy of a book with my recipes and a reasonable cost. I've yet to redeem the voucher and add my recipes but hope to get that done soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now