Neither Mumsnet nor Barclays has checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Please do not use this topic to post promotional messages about your business venture; if you do, your post may be deleted as spam.

Welcome to the Business Start-ups Topic!

(91 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Nov-12 14:42:28

Hello.

We have created this new discussion topic for those of you who have just started, or are thinking of starting, a new business.

The board itself is supported by Barclays but is very much inspired by Talk threads on all aspects of business that made us realise that many of you would welcome a dedicated space where you can discuss business and share your views. We'll be moving some of those threads to this topic over the next few days.

So, welcome! We hope you'll use this topic to swap all manner of advice, info and tips.

Tee2072 Mon 12-Nov-12 15:44:33

Define 'just started'. I've been in business for just over 2 years.

Can I play?

grin

::Tee being difficult::

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Nov-12 15:46:18

Course you can. You can advise from position of Great Knowledge...

Tee2072 Mon 12-Nov-12 15:46:47

Oooh, like an Oracle...or about Oracle...

grin

Kveta Mon 12-Nov-12 17:16:06

ooh, great, I'm pondering starting up a business, have some Ideas, but advice from oracles would be marvelous!

SpiralDancer Mon 12-Nov-12 17:39:20

Oooo excellent, I will be keeping eyes open here as have just gone free lance as an artist (painter) also hoping to get back into practising as a therapist.
So will be most interested in advertising and networking etc.

Great idea. I am going to be starting my own business as a coach and hypnotherapist next Spring once I have completed my qualifications. Heard the sobering statistic that 80% of new businesses fail within the first year. So I think we need all the help we can get!

I'm in too, just started up as a storyteller. Need advice on getting people to move from "ooh, that's a great idea" to actually parting with some cashgrin.
Networking is going well, a steep learning curve but I'm figuring out new things every day.

Frosch Mon 12-Nov-12 19:38:07

Just started up! Am finding that I'm having to curb my ball-busting tendencies; a ferocious work ethic needed one industry doesn't always go down when dealing with an industry of a more gentle, slow-moving nature and I need to dial it down accordingly. My tax accountant makes Eeyore look like Ru-Paul, which means I'm always given the absolute, end-of-the-world scenario every month. This works well for me, as that pushes me on to try harder. It might not work well for others, who might prefer a more positive cheerleader/mentor to push them through the dark days. Can't do sums, dealing with that issue ostrich-like grin.

gussiegrips Mon 12-Nov-12 19:51:58

Me too. Am setting up a sensible, bread and butter business - but am all excited about a tangent, flight of fancy business whic is infinitely more fun.

Where do you all find the time and energy? I find I swing between "doomed, we're all doomed" to practising my "Hello, Graham Norton, it's lovely to meet you"

lunchbox Mon 12-Nov-12 20:09:22

I've just started a business, been open 2 weeks, it's a coffee/sandwich bar, and so far seems to be doing ok. Bloody terrifying though, not knowing when I'll be able to pay myself, and Christmas will have to be done on the cheap this year.

But I really enjoy it, I love cashing up the till on the days when I've made a profit grin

k2togm1 Mon 12-Nov-12 20:17:35

Can I join? lunhbox do you need some great brownies supplied to you?
I'm going to do my first fayre this weekend!
Terrified!

lunchbox Mon 12-Nov-12 21:13:12

Funny you should mention that, I do actually need brownies!! What part of the country are you in?

mcmooncup Mon 12-Nov-12 21:17:57

Just marking my place too.
I'm just coming up for 2 years too.....still feel like a new business though......so much to do, so little time.
Long hours, little money (for now) but wouldn't change it for the world. I'm officially unemployable now sad could never work for someone else again!

k2togm1 Mon 12-Nov-12 21:25:37

lunchbox I'm in Bristol [clutching straws...]

lunchbox Mon 12-Nov-12 21:29:19

Seriously kc2m?

I'm not far from Bristol. Do you do other cakes or just brownies? My cake lady quit today, she did cookies and cakes, so need someone else to supply them.

gemblags1980 Mon 12-Nov-12 21:30:36

Hi I have found this thread by accident , but just wondered if anyone has had experience of advertising on mums net and what the return as been. Just a ballpark figure, I'm a new business so need to make the pennies work for me!
Thanks in advance,
Gemma

lunchbox Mon 12-Nov-12 21:31:19

Sorry k2togm1 not k2cm or whatever i just called you (on iPhone so can't scroll up to check)

lunchbox Mon 12-Nov-12 21:32:13

Good question gemblags, I thought of it but not convinced there are that many mners in my area

DowagersHump Mon 12-Nov-12 21:42:57

I would love it if in the first 20 posts, there was a brownie maker who made a sale to a sandwich shop which needed brownies smile

(disclaimer - I do very dull business to business work but I've been going for two years - started as a sole trader but now am a ltd company registered for VAT so I'm doing something vaguely right)

Was a bit of a struggle at first but I absolutely love working for myself in my pants mainly from home

k2togm1 Mon 12-Nov-12 21:56:29

What are the chances! smile although I am only doing brownies... pm me if you want.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Mon 12-Nov-12 21:58:00

Well done MNHQ A BRILLIANT new topic smile All of us in one place, not boring the pants off everyone else and not missing the threads when they drop out of Active too quickly smile Thank you!! thankswinebrewbiscuit

gussiegrips Mon 12-Nov-12 22:07:49

So, how do the advertising rules work on here?

Can I tell you about my business and put up links to the website for help and feedback, but without falling foul of shameless self promotion rules?

k2togm1 Mon 12-Nov-12 22:11:32

Oops sorry if I broke the shameless self promotion ruleblush

gussiegrips Mon 12-Nov-12 22:12:24

No, no, no, I wasn't dobbing you in! I was hoping to jump right onto your wagon...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now